Community

"Ask user permission" popup doesn't show over RDP

Links used in this discussion
Tiago Gomes, User (Posts: 5)
Jul 21, 2020 8:16:25 am EDT
Support level: Endpoint
Is there any way to enable the "ask user permission" popup to show up on Remote Desktop connections?

My host stations are headless. The user access them via "Remote Desktop" and I'd like to use the "ask user permission" policy to require the users to explicity allow the remote access. On the other hand, the popup doesn't show on the "Remote Desktop Connection", only on the "local screen" (local vga/hdmi output), which makes access to the popup unviable.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jul 21, 2020 12:57:53 pm EDT
Hello Tiago,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to display the "Ask user permission" prompt in the active RDP connection. The reason the user who's logged in to the remote machine via the Remote Desktop Connection does not see the permission prompt is that Microsoft's RDP is working via the terminal session and Remote Utilities works in a console session and displays exactly what is shown on a remote machine, i.e. the Windows logon screen. This way, if you logon to the remote Host machine via Remote Utilities, this will disconnect another user that is connected via RDP (the same way it happens with usual logon). Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please let us know if you have other questions.
Jul 21, 2020 2:46:46 pm EDT
>This way, if you logon to the remote Host machine via Remote Utilities, this will disconnect another user that is connected via RDP (the same way it happens with usual logon).

That's not entirely true: after the permission is given I do not need to login - I can switch the Remote Utilities to the RDP session and support the user, sharing the the remote terminal session.

With the raise of Virtual Terminals that should be a must feature on a remote access software.
Jul 21, 2020 3:56:31 pm EDT
Hello Tiago,

That's not entirely true: after the permission is given I do not need to login - I can switch the Remote Utilities to the RDP session and support the user, sharing the the remote terminal session.

Could you please clarify if you mean the RDP connection mode in Remote Utilities? If this is the case, please note that what I described in the previous message applies to the Full Control and View connection mode, as the RDP mode in Remote Utilities simply launches the native Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection client from within Remote Utilities and connects to a remote computer using the RDP protocol.

With the raise of Virtual Terminals that should be a must feature on a remote access software.

Of course, I will forward this to our development department for a review to see if we can add such a feature to our roadmap and implement it in our future updates.

Please let us know if you have more questions.
Jul 21, 2020 6:24:28 pm EDT
Thanks for the answer. I'm looking forward for this feature.

Just to clarify:
The "end user" does not access via the RDP connection mode in Remote Utilities. It access directly the native Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection client (via a Thinclient).
Only the "support staff" uses Remote Utilities to access the hosts to support the "end users" (and to do so they need to mirror the "end users" screen" by selecting it under "Terminal sessions" menu of the Remote Utilities Viewer)
Jul 22, 2020 9:51:07 am EDT
Hello Tiago,

Thank you for the clarification!

Please do not hesitate to post another message if you have more questions. We're happy to assist!

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)