New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Login Screen inoperable with 6.12.2 B2

Links used in this discussion
Brian Brian, User (Posts: 5)
Aug 09, 2020 12:02:41 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hello.

Both host and viewer are running 6.12.2 B2 on Windows 10.  I don't have ADMIN rights on the Host, so I am running the RUN ONLY agent on the Host.

Things are great with one notable exception.  When the host times out, I can see the Windows Login screen on the remote computer, but I can't see the Password prompt and cant type the password (even though I can see it on the HOST screen).

I am lucky in that the host is close in proximity, so I just have to type my password on the host computer itself.  From there, Remote Utilities is fine on every other screen.   Still, this is not ideal ... particularly if I didn't have ready access to the host machine.

Also curious, if I say "send Alt-Ctrl-Del" from the viewer, it brings up the task manager rather than what should happen if I do this key sequence on the host.

I saw some things in the community that were similar, but nothing exact.  There was one that suggested using Legacy Capture Mode on the Host.  This doesn't seem to make any difference for me.

Any thoughts or help are sincerely appreciated.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Aug 10, 2020 2:34:00 pm EDT
Hello Brian,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please let us know which Connection mode and Authentication method do you use to connect to a remote machine?

Also curious, if I say "send Alt-Ctrl-Del" from the viewer, it brings up the task manager rather than what should happen if I do this key sequence on the host.

Could you please clarify if you're sending the key combination by directly pressing it on the local keyboard or do you use the Send Ctrl+Alt+Del command located in the Additional commands menu on the Toolbar of the Full Control and View connection mode?

Looking forward to your reply.
Aug 10, 2020 3:49:25 pm EDT
Thanks for responding.  
Here are my answers:

I am using Full Control and Single Password security.

For sending CTRL-ALT-Delete, I am using what the document calls the Toolbar, and I choose "send Ctrl-Alt-Delete" rather than hit these keys directly on the host.

Please let me know if you would like more details.
Aug 10, 2020 5:19:10 pm EDT
Hello Brian,

Thank you for the clarification.

Could you please clarify if you mean that when the remote session is interrupted or closed and you try connecting to the remote machine again, you see the Windows login screen with no password input field? If this is the case, then could you please let me know if you have the Lock workstation on disconnect feature enabled in the Connection Properties -> Additional properties tab? In addition, could you please send us a screenshot of the Windows Login screen with no password prompt? You can hide all sensitive information or send the screenshot to support@remoteutilities.com if you don't want to post it on the forum.

For sending CTRL-ALT-Delete, I am using what the document calls the Toolbar, and I choose "send Ctrl-Alt-Delete" rather than hit these keys directly on the host.

Could you please clarify if the Agent runs under the standard Windows user?

Looking forward to your reply.
Aug 10, 2020 5:36:46 pm EDT
Thanks again fro responding

I have attached a screenshot from the Viewer below.  When I look at the host, it has the same picture, but the normal windows UNLOCK screen is there.  I am able to put my password in from the host and from there I can use the remote session.  However, I am not able to see or type into the UNlock screen from the Viewer.

Also, I have Lock Workstation on Disconnect unchecked.  I tried changing this and re-connecting but this had no effect.

Finally, in answer to your question:  Could you please clarify if the Agent runs under the standard Windows
user?

I do not have ADMIN access to the remote machine, so I am unable to install Remote Utilities.  I instead start the RUN ONLY agent on the host interactively .. so it is running as my non-admin username in the foreground.
Attached Files
Login Screen inoperable with 6.12.2 B2
Aug 11, 2020 9:45:58 am EDT
Hello Brian,

Unfortunately, we couldn't reproduce the issue. However, I will forward the issue to our developers and ask for their input on this to see if there's anything that could be done to fix it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I'll get back to you soon with an update.
Aug 11, 2020 5:49:53 pm EDT
Hello Brian,

Thank you for your patience.

I checked with our developers on the issues. The issue with the Windows Login screen is caused by the screen capture being interrupted since the user that was running the Agent is logged out. This way, the image you see in the Full Control and View window is mismatched with what actually is displayed on the Agent machine at the moment.

As for the "Send Ctrl+Alt+Del" feature - this is expected behavior. In order to use this feature, you need to have the Host module running on the remote machine or to use the Restart Agent as feature.

Please let us know if you have more questions.
Aug 12, 2020 12:44:04 pm EDT
It may not change the answer, but the above is slightly inaccurate.

When the host machine times out, it times out to the Lock screen rather than the login screen (e.g. the screen asks for password only not username/password).  

I presume that in Lock mode, the agent is still running.  When I enter my password on the host, the AGENT process is still running in foreground and the viewer is able to take control of the host without having to reconnect.

So, the outcome may be the same, but the statement above that the user on the host is logged out or that the Agent is no longer running is not accurate.

Let me know if this changes anything ...thanks.
Aug 12, 2020 1:59:48 pm EDT
Hello Brian,

I apologize for my somewhat misleading previous reply. Unfortunately, this still does not change the reason that's causing the issue. I'll check with our developers if, perhaps, we can implement some fix for this kind of issues in our future updates, if possible.

Please feel free to post another message if you have more questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)