Community

Host is Locked?

Links used in this discussion
David, User (Posts: 25)
Feb 20, 2014 1:42:17 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
I'm not sure what this means because I searched through the manual as best I could - but I have one remote host that always shows up in the Viewer as being "Locked". I'm not sure what this means, but the Viewer cannot connect to this particular host at all. What does this mean?
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Feb 20, 2014 2:28:26 pm EST

David wrote:
I'm not sure what this means because I searched through the manual as best I could - but I have one remote host that always shows up in the Viewer as being "Locked". I'm not sure what this means, but the Viewer cannot connect to this particular host at all. What does this mean?

The lock means there is a Host installed on the remote PC, and it's accessible via network, but you are not yet logged on into the remote PC. Here "to be logged on" means to log on using Remote Utilities, not Windows log on. More information is available in this feature description https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/docs/logon-and-logoff/
Feb 20, 2014 2:35:53 pm EST
Understood. But I tried to logon using the Viewer several times and it won't do it. The host was deployed with password protected settings and a password to logon - so I doubt anything was changed by the user (or otherwise). Should I redeploy the host to that machine? Or is there something else that I'm missing?
Feb 20, 2014 2:47:26 pm EST
One more thing - and I don't know if this should be in a topic by itself or not but...

I've the Auto-logon setting for all of my connections, but the only connections that seem to automatically logon to the host are the connections in the group that the Viewer goes to by default when I open the Viewer application. Any other connections in any other groups won't automatically logon.

For instance:
I have setup 2 groups, A and B. Auto-logon has been setup for all connections in both groups. I open the Viewer application and go into group A. If I then close the application and open it back up, all of the connections in group A will automatically logon to the host, but if I then navigate to group B none of the connections will automatically login. If I then close the application again (being inside group B) and open it again, the Viewer will start inside group B and all of those connections will automatically login. But again, none of the connections in group A will be logged on.

Edit: Conrad, maybe you can move this over to the feature requests. It looks like the Viewer will automatically logon to the hosts, but only after what looks to be a 30 second timeout. It would be helpful if the auto-logon process happened continually in the background or at least is initiated once the group is selected.
Edited:David - Feb 20, 2014 4:37:53 pm EST (Add'l info)
Feb 21, 2014 3:05:41 am EST

But I tried to logon using the Viewer several times and it won't do it.

It's hard to say exactly what it might be, it depends on the connection type (direct vs. mediated) and other factors. If you cannot connect to the remote PC, check out these two KB articles:

https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/kb/cannot-connect-using-internet-id-connection/

https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/kb/cannot-connect-using-direct-connection/
Feb 21, 2014 3:11:11 am EST

I have setup 2 groups, A and B. Auto-logon has been setup for all connections in both groups. I open the Viewer application and go into group A. If I then close the application and open it back up, all of the connections in group A will automatically logon to the host, but if I then navigate to group B none of the connections will automatically login. If I then close the application again (being inside group B) and open it again, the Viewer will start inside group B and all of those connections will automatically login. But again, none of the connections in group A will be logged on.

Edit: Conrad, maybe you can move this over to the feature requests. It looks like the Viewer will automatically logon to the hosts, but only after what looks to be a 30 second timeout. It would be helpful if the auto-logon process happened continually in the background or at least is initiated once the group is selected.

Thanks for detailed info. We'll check it out and see if we can fix this.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)