Community

Odds of guessing an internet ID?

Links used in this discussion
dbartos, User (Posts: 5)
Nov 03, 2020 10:28:09 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
Loving the program, just wondering about the security of an internet ID.

I know that you need a pin / password set up for the internet ID to work, but how likely is it that random hackers out there can guess what my internet ID is?

Is there a way to know if someone has guessed the internet ID and tried logging in but had the wrong pin / password?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Nov 03, 2020 4:46:28 pm EST
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

I know that you need a pin / password set up for the internet ID to work, but how likely is it that random hackers out there can guess what my internet ID is?

You are absolutely right as the knowledge of the Internet-ID code alone is not enough to be able to connect to a remote Host/Agent. It's necessary to know the Host's access credentials such as a password or a login/password pair depending on which authorization method is enabled on the remote Host.
Of course, anyone can type random numbers in their Viewer and try connecting, but it simply would not lead them anywhere.
However, you can always see the records about when a Host was accessed and in what connection mode, the connection entries can be found in the Host log files. In case if the connection was established you will see the entry that will state Access granted. In case if you use Agent, its connection logs are stored on the remote machine in the following folder: C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Remote Utilities Agent\Logs\.

However, there are additional ways to protect your Host machines from any unauthorized access. For example, you can use Remote Utilities in a totally isolated environment (via Direct connection or RU Server) or enable 2-factor Authentication that provides an additional level of security and protects your Hosts from unauthorized access even if someone guessed or otherwise got possession of your access password. For more information on additional security measures please see our Security page.

Hope that helps.
dbartos, User (Posts: 5)
Nov 04, 2020 11:21:38 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
Thanks for the detailed reply Polina. Very helpful.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)