New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

MSI Install via GPO

Links used in this discussion
Matthew Cooper, User (Posts: 38)
Nov 11, 2020 9:57:44 pm EST
Hi Ondrej

We have not been successful in eradicating this problem, it still crops up from time to time. We run dual remote access systems so if RU won't connect, we switch over and investigate.

Matthew
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Nov 12, 2020 10:00:53 am EST
Hello Matthew and Ondrej,

Could you please let us know if it's possible to install Host on at least one of the remote machines where the issue occurs using the Remote Install Tool or by just running the Host installation file?

In case if this is possible, then I'm afraid that it seems to be a network administration issue and we cannot assist in resolving this kind of issues as it's beyond the scope of our technical support. If this is the case, then please try contacting your system administrator and ask them to take a look at the issue? Namely, please ask them to check the mapping in the AD, as it might be something that's causing the issue.
In case if the issue occurs when using the above methods as well, please let us know.

Hope that helps.
Nov 12, 2020 5:18:48 pm EST
For us, I can confirm that we have never seen this issue when installing the software manually, it is only a very small number of cases when installed via group policy software installation. We have never used the remote install tool so I cannot comment on that. This makes sense though as a manual install never re-runs the installer. GP is re-running the installer each time the machine reboots, and this issue only shows up after a reboot.

My feeling is that it is something to do with the installer MSI itself, however, I am not an expert on the specifics of MSI files. We use GP software installation on dozens of sites for many peices of software and have been doing so for about 15 years now, the only one I can ever recall having issues is this one.

We have learnt to live with this problem for the moment, as long as it does not get any worse.

Matthew
Nov 13, 2020 9:36:55 am EST
Hello Matthew,

Thank you for the detailed update.

My feeling is that it is something to do with the installer MSI itself, however, I am not an expert on the specifics of MSI files.

Unfortunately, this is unlikely to be the case, otherwise our community forum would be flooded with similar reports, it seems like the issue is rather caused by some specific GPO settings or only manifest itself in certain circumstances. I've forwarded the issue to our developers once again and asked for their input on this, just in case.

However, we plan to release an updated version of Remote Utilities very soon, perhaps there might be some improvements that can affect and reduce the issue. Meanwhile, you can also try installing our latest 6.12.2.0 Beta 2 version via GPO and see if the issue persists this way as well. The 6.12.2.0 Beta 2 version is available for download on this page.

I'll get back to you with an update on this soon.
Nov 14, 2020 9:07:25 pm EST
We tested the beta 2 version on a small number of machines, but did not roll it out via group policy so I cannot shed add any insights here. We had issues with excessive dropouts when using the beta2 viewer and 6.10 hosts. However, we have updated our self hosted server to beta2 and that has helped enormously. So currently, our overall configuration is Self Hosted Server 2.9B2, Viewer 6.10.10, Hosts 6.10.10.

With regard to the group policy, although I cannot rule out some sort of specific GP config creating the issue, if this is cause, then it is something we are replicating as we have faced this issue across about 10 different client sites, all with completely independent GP and AD implementations.

Ondrej, can you confirm that after the initial installation, the remote access works, but fails later after the workstation is rebooted [not necessarily after the first reboot, but rather just at a future time after a reboot].
This is our issue.

Matthew
Edited:Matthew Cooper - Nov 14, 2020 9:12:05 pm EST
Nov 16, 2020 2:00:20 pm EST
Hello Matthew,

Thank you for the update.

We had issues with excessive dropouts when using the beta2 viewer and 6.10 hosts. However, we have updated our self hosted server to beta2 and that has helped enormously. So currently, our overall configuration is Self Hosted Server 2.9B2, Viewer 6.10.10, Hosts 6.10.10.

Please note that it's not recommended to use Viewer and Host of different versions as the version mismatch might cause performance issues. Of course, we try to maintain as much backward compatibility as possible, but we cannot guarantee that it does not affect connection speed/performance.

With regard to the group policy, although I cannot rule out some sort of specific GP config creating the issue, if this is cause, then it is something we are replicating as we have faced this issue across about 10 different client sites, all with completely independent GP and AD implementations.

I've additionally checked on the issue with our developers and they confirmed that it's caused by some GPO settings. Unfortunately, this is something that you need to refer to your system administrator and ask them to further investigate the issue. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please let us know if you have other questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)