Community

Trying to create an installer - Problem

Links used in this discussion
Rob Barrett, User (Posts: 92)
Dec 05, 2020 1:50:29 pm EST
Latest version. I am trying to create an installer to update ALL hosts from external IP address to hostname. I can ping the server by hostname and IP address from the outside. When clicking on the MSI configurator, It tryes to connect to the hostname but cannot. I have checked firewall rules and have ports 5650-5670 open in my firewall TCP/UDP. Still cannot get the host MSI configurator to connect. Am I missing a port that the MSI configurator is looking for?
Dec 05, 2020 2:21:46 pm EST
Still cannot get the host MSI configurator to connect to the configuration server
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Dec 06, 2020 7:43:35 am EST
Hello Rob,

Thank you for your message.

I have just checked the work of MSI configurator (Viewer 6.10 stable, if that's the version that you mean). It works.

Or maybe you meant something else by the configuration server?
Dec 06, 2020 10:16:00 am EST
At the end of the configurator, I click on finish and it tries to connect to your configurator so that I can get a signed .exe file but for some reason, it cannot connect. I click on retry but I get the same error.
Dec 07, 2020 4:13:52 am EST
Hi Rob,

Does it show any specific error?

Also, you should make sure that you allow *.remoteutilities.com on your perimeter firewall for Viewer app.
Dec 07, 2020 8:53:45 am EST
Any specific ports for that ?
Dec 07, 2020 11:14:59 am EST
Hi Rob,

It's the regular 443.

Could it be that you have a proxy in between the Internet and your network from where you are trying to access the configuration server?
Dec 08, 2020 8:33:01 am EST
There isn't a proxy. My Rut server is hosted behind a firewall and has 1 to 1 NAT with a public IP address.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Dec 08, 2020 10:33:20 am EST
Hello Rob,

Thank you for your message.

Please note that there is no difference for the MSI Configurator if you use a self-hosted RU Server or our public ID server to connect to remote Host machines since the MSI Configurator works via the regular network connection and you only need to make sure that *.remoteutilities.com can be accessed by the program.
In case if you'd had a proxy on the Viewer's side, then some settings of this proxy might have been causing the issue.

However, regarding the issue itself, could you please clarify if, by any chance, the issue with the MSI Configurator occurs on a machine running on Windows 7? If this is the case, then the issue is most probably caused by outdated security protocols (namely TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1) which are no longer supported by the configuration server. In order to resolve the issue, you need to enable TLS 1.2 support on your Viewer machine. Please try following this step-by-step tutorial on enabling TLS 1.2 support and see if this helps to resolve the issue.

Please let us know if the above solution worked for you.
Dec 08, 2020 10:59:04 am EST
Also, I with there was a way to do a simple update via selecting my newly created file.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)