New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Cannot connect when wired, but can when wireless

Links used in this discussion
Jules Pike, User (Posts: 6)
Feb 07, 2021 1:00:15 pm EST
Support level: Starter
I have an odd issue. A few weeks ago I upgraded my broadband to include a fixed IP address. Since doing this I have only been able to connect to RU hosts if I am using WiFi. Same network, if the ethernet cable is plugged in I cannot connect, yet if I unplug it, I can. Its infuriating.

Looking at the log files, these seem like the important lines....

01-02-2021__12:10:05__732 InetConnection #981050. Method "Connect" - OK. Computer connected to ID server: id.remoteutilities.com.
01-02-2021__12:10:20__778 InetConnection #981050. Socket error. Name: "Computer", host: "id.remoteutilities.com:5655". Exception class: "EIdReadTimeout". Message: "Read timed out.".
01-02-2021__12:10:20__795 Connection #981050. Connection to "Computer" failed. Mode: <Authorization>.
01-02-2021__12:10:20__813 Context #981050 removed. Mode: <Authorization>

....but cannot decipher what the cause is. I have tried the following :-

Reinstalling RU host on my local machine
Deleting and re-adding connections
Reset the host Internet ID
Adding RU as an allowed app in the Windows firewall
Disabling the Windows firewall
Deleting the RU config_4.xml file
Deleting the connections_4.xml file
Asking nicely

I can ping id.remoteutilities.com
All machines are running Win 10 OS and latest version of RU.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jules
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Feb 07, 2021 1:12:19 pm EST
Hello Jules,

Thank you for your message.

Do your wired and wireless connections use different ISPs and/or routers?
Feb 07, 2021 1:29:18 pm EST
Same ISP and same router.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Feb 07, 2021 2:51:51 pm EST
Hi Jules,

It looks like your firewall (most likely the one on the computer, but maybe the router's one too) treats networks differently. Namely, it may block the outbound connection to our server for your ethernet connection whereas not doing so for your Wi Fi connection. At least that's what should be diagnosed in the first place.

I can ping id.remoteutilities.com

A successful ping does not necessarily mean that a TCP connection at a certain port will also be successful. What ping says is that such and such server is accessible and online and that's it.
Feb 08, 2021 6:22:10 am EST
It looks like it is a firewall issue at the router end. In the router firewall logs I am seeing the following :-

10:35:19 08 Feb 2021 [Firewall: Invalid State]IN=dummy0 OUT= MAC=30:bb:dd:99:88:77:ee:00:99:44:22:bb:00:00 SRC=209.205.218.178 DST=61.XXX.XXX.XX2 LEN=1381 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=114 ID=27937 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=5655 DPT=55596 WINDOW=1025 RES=0x00 ACK PS
SPT varies between 5655 and 443.

Am I right that this is saying that the router is blocking the inbound RU access? It is not obvious how I change this. The firewall setting are set to 'Minimum (No application or traffic is blocked. This is the default configuration)'. I have service, device and keyword filter options, but these seem designed to restrict access rather than allow it.

I have played with port forwarding and port triggering settings, without any success. I also don't see how those settings would differentiate between wired and wireless. Any help would be really appreciated.

If it helps, I am using a Hitron CGNV4-FX4 router accessing via Virgin Business in the UK.

Many thanks

Jules
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Feb 08, 2021 11:47:49 am EST
Hello Jules,

SPT varies between 5655 and 443.
Am I right that this is saying that the router is blocking the inbound RU access?

This might be pointing at the fact that both outbound TCP ports 5655/443 are blocked. Please note that at least one of these ports must be opened for Remote Utilities to be able to connect to our intermediary servers. For more information on ports used by Remote Utilities please see this page.

I have played with port forwarding and port triggering settings, without any success. I also don't see how those settings would differentiate between wired and wireless. Any help would be really appreciated.

I've forwarded the issue along with the provided router firewall logs to our development department and asked for their input on this. However, please note that this rather seems to be a network administration issue and requires assistance from a network administrator.

I'll get back to you with an update on the issue shortly.
Jun 22, 2021 8:59:57 am EDT
Four months on and I still have no solution to this, although I do have some more information :-

I switched the router into 'Modem mode', and added a new Asus router to control everything important. The upshot was that wired still didn't work but now wireless stopped working too.....although occasionally I get an updated lists of which hosts are online and (very) rarely can actually connect to one!

If I use the Android app on my phone, connecting to WiFi, everything works without a problem.
I also don't have problems if connecting using a VirtualBox Mac (don't have a real one to test). A virtual Windows PC however doesn't work though, and nor does running Viewer on a new Win10 PC.
If I tether my PC to my phone and run off the mobile network everything works fine.

I don't think it is a block port issue as turning off the Windows and router firewalls makes no difference. Virgin assure me that neither 5655 nor 443 are blocked by them.  

In conclusion the problem only occurs when going through our Virgin Business connection, and only when coming from a Windows PC. Weird, right? I cannot tell if the issue lies with the Hitron modem or further upstream on the ISPs network. I've read that Virgin use GRE Tunnelling with their business clients, but I cannot see how this would cause a Windows only problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jules
Jun 22, 2021 11:46:29 am EDT
Hello Jules,

Could you please let me know what version of Remote Utilities do you use on both ends, i.e. for Host and Viewer?
In addition, could you please send us the latest Host connection logs for examination? You can locate the Host connection logs in the following folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\Logs\. You can send us the log files for examination to support@remoteutilities.com.

Looking forward to your reply.
Jun 22, 2021 12:29:06 pm EDT
I am using RU-Viewer 7.0.2.0, although this issue existed before I upgraded.
When I manage to get access I am upgrading hosts, but some are still running  6.9.10. The log files I have emailed you start off as 6.9.1 but get upgraded to 7.0.2 a few days ago.

Thanks for your help.

Jules
Jun 22, 2021 1:33:57 pm EDT
Hello Jules,

You mean that you've sent the logs to support@remoteutilities.com once again, correct? Unfortunately, we still haven't received an email from you. Could you please try sending them once again or attaching them to a ticket (our ticket system is available to you since you have a commercial license - you can open new ticket here)?

Looking forward to your reply.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)