Community

Version 7.0.0.0 can't add old license key

Links used in this discussion
Peter Gray, User (Posts: 48)
Feb 25, 2021 4:49:18 pm EST
Support level: Starter
I've just installed V 7.0.0.0 viewer on a test machine (XP) over the top of vv6.12.4.0 beta.4
Up to beta 2, the viewer used my old licence key.  Beta 3 had built-in beta license, so did beta 4, licencse key storage was not available.
7.0 seems to need a licence key file, whereas previous versions wanted a text string.
How do get my existing starter licence into v 7.0?
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Feb 25, 2021 5:49:01 pm EST
Hi Peter,

Version 6.x.x.x keys are incompatible with version 7.x.x.x. You must upgrade your license key using this form https://www.remoteutilities.com/buy/upgrade-form.php

7.0 seems to need a licence key file, whereas previous versions wanted a text string.
How do get my existing starter licence into v 7.0?

Yes, now there's a key file (key.rlicense) that you need to drag-n-drop to License key storage, or just open the Windows Open dialog and select the file on the disk and it will get added to the license key storage.

Hope that helps.
Feb 25, 2021 6:36:37 pm EST

Yes, now there's a key file (key.rlicense) that you need to drag-n-drop to License key storage, or just open the Windows Open dialog and select the file on the disk and it will get added to the license key storage.

OK
I upgraded my license, and got an email with a (much longer) text string containing the license key.
I copied that into a text file and saved it, with a .rlicense extension.
I then input that file to the license key dialog.  It seems to have worked.
Perhaps this process, or a refined version of it, should be added to your licensing help information?
Feb 25, 2021 6:43:12 pm EST
Hi Peter,

Thank you for your order!

Yes, the message template contained the key in the body as well as attached. We updated the template so now it only contains the attachment.

I then input that file to the license key dialog. It seems to have worked.

It will also work that way, that's right. The .rlicense file is just a plain text file. However, Viewer 7.x.x.x no longer accepts text directly but only as a file with .rlicense extension.

Let me know if you need further assistance.
Feb 25, 2021 6:50:51 pm EST
On a second look, I see that the email also included an attatchment .rlicense file containing the license key.
Edited:Peter Gray - Feb 25, 2021 6:51:51 pm EST
MaxBlitzer, User (Posts: 68)
Feb 25, 2021 11:31:15 pm EST
Conrad,

This is really disappointing. I really wish you called your 6.12 beta version 7.x instead of tricking us into thinking it was another 6.12 release. I wouldn't have bothered testing the betas if I knew this to to be the case.  Further, when someone inquired about getting a new beta update before March 1 expiry, this critical fact was neglected and downright misleading: "Yes, the final release will be made before the end of this month."

I just installed the RU Server 3.0 and then realized with the version bump to v7, I would need to pay for an upgrade. So now I'm stuck on a mix of 6.10.x's, beta 6.12's and a RU server running 3.0 I need to downgrade to 2.7 release. I really hope it doesn't bork the address books or settings.

https://www.remoteutilities.com/download/older-versions.php

So what is the last official 6.x release that I can still run? The 6.10.10 that is ancient and buggy that is almost 2 years old?  I don't even know if there was a minor update put out after the last time I upgraded my license in May 2019. Can you update the page above to include them, please?
Bretislav Duda, User (Posts: 8)
Feb 26, 2021 5:28:57 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
NO WARNING !!!
Server 3.0 is not compatible from the previous version 2.x.

The 7.x client is not compatible with the 6.x license and the free license cannot be upgraded

The 7.x client is not compatible with the 6.x license and the free license cannot be upgraded
When I try to request a new one, the old 6.x version comes
COMPLETELY NOT PREPARED SYSTEM

Do I understand correctly that lifetime free license ends version 6.x?
Feb 26, 2021 6:13:35 am EST
Hello Bretislav,

Thank you for your message.

Server 3.0 is not compatible from the previous version 2.x.

That's wrong. When you install the server it migrates all the server settings from 2.x.x.x to 3.x.x.x. And it even supports connections from 6.x.x.x clients (here client means "client-server" architecture, so clients can be Viewers and Hosts.

Please, do not mislead other users.

No, it is not compatible. Why should it? We have our upgrade policy, we must separate 6.x.x.x users from 7.x.x.x. Besides, the new key format was necessary for implementing a new license key management system in RU Server.

Free license just needs to be generated anew using this form https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/free.php . We are not taking the right to use the free license from anyone.

When I try to request a new one, the old 6.x version comes

This is also wrong. I personally tested the free license generation form immediately after the new release yesterday . And I've just tested it too. It works, generates and sends a key.rlicense file via email which is the license file for the new version.

Do I understand correctly that lifetime free license ends version 6.x?

No. You can generate a free license for version 7 and use it. If for some reason you still like version 6 you can keep using it too by the way (with the 6.x.x.x key, of course).

For example, our paid customers who upgrade to version 7 will be able to keep their version 6 keys and use them, so they remain valid (not blacklisted). That is to ensure smooth transition from version 6 to version 7 in case there are hundreds of remote pcs. A customer may generate their 7 key now and actually upgrade only later, so we understand that.
Bretislav Duda, User (Posts: 8)
Feb 26, 2021 7:05:23 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
30 / 5000
Výsledky překladu
Thank you for answer
Everything is solved
but...

After the server upgrade, everything is really ok, except for the port number
Server 3.0 after upgrade switch at default 5655, i have another, but ok after change
Feb 26, 2021 7:15:30 am EST
HI Bretislav,

Server port management has become even more powerful. In a nutshell the improvement is described in this blog post. We'll also update our documentation very soon.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)