Community

RU Server - address book RDP logon information

Links used in this discussion
dimitris, User (Posts: 15)
Feb 19, 2021 4:00:15 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
I have set up an address book on a self-hosted RU Server.
On RU Viewer, I added the synchronized address book of the RU Server.
On RU Viewer again, I exported a large local address book and imported it into the synchronized address book.

Unfortunately, I came into an unpleasant surprise: the RDP logon information of every imported connection, on the synchronized address book, is replaced with the default RDP logon information for new connections of the RU Viewer.
Therefore, it seems that the RDP logon information of the connections is not saved in the RU Server address book. Is this a normal behavior and is there a possibility to save RDP logon information on the RU Server centralized address book?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Feb 19, 2021 4:17:17 pm EST
Hello Dimitris,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please let me know what version of Remote Utilities do you use for Host, Viewer, and RU Server? In case if you use version 6.10.10.0 (version 2.8.2.0 for RU Server) or an older version, could you please try updating your Remote Utilities installation to the most recent version 6.12 Beta 4 (2.9 Beta 4 version for the RU Server) and see if RDP logon information is saved and synced correctly when using the latest version?

The latest 6.12 Beta 4 version (and 2.9 Beta 4 for RU Server) is available for download on this page.
When updating please make sure to update both Host and Viewer (as well as RU Server) to the same version in order to avoid the version mismatch that might lead to performance issues or some features not working.

Please let me know if the issue persists when using the latest 6.12 Beta 4 version as well.
Feb 19, 2021 4:29:44 pm EST
Hello Polina and thank you for the quick reply.

We use the latest stable versions, in a production environment.
I will install the betas in a test environment and reply with the results.
Feb 19, 2021 6:26:57 pm EST
I have installed "RU-Server 2.9.7.0 (Beta 4)" and used the "RU-Viewer portable 6.12.4.0 (Beta 4)", but the result is the same.

The RDP logon information does not seem to be saved at the RU-Server side, but only at the RU-Viewer side locally (on the local copy of the remote/synchronized address book).
So if another user (or the same user from another installation of RU-Viewer e.g. other computer) logs in and adds the remote address book, then he/she does not get the correct RDP logon information.
Feb 20, 2021 9:47:51 am EST
Hello Dimitris,

Thank you for the update.

We will test this out to see if we can reproduce the issue and implement a fix for it in our future updates. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I'll keep you updated on the issue.
Feb 24, 2021 4:19:10 pm EST
Hello Dimitris,

Thank you for your patience.

I've checked on the issue with our developers - this is expected behavior and, unfortunately, we do not plan to add RDP credentials synchronization with the RU Server's side (i.e. for the sync server) in our future updates for security reasons. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please let us know if you have other questions.
Feb 26, 2021 6:21:29 pm EST
Thank you very much Polina for checking it.
It's a pity because that makes the synchronized address book useless for us.
A solution could be an encrypted address book (RU-Server protected with a password), just as already implemented in the RU-Viewer, thus saving a lot of development work.
By the way, the RDP credentials are not secure (base64) in a RU-Viewer address book that is not encrypted (RU-Viewer not protected with a password).
Mar 01, 2021 3:17:10 pm EST
Hello Dimitris,

Sorry for the inconvenience. I'll forward your additional feedback to our developers for a review - perhaps, we will be able to review this in our future updates.

Please feel free to post another message if you have other questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)