Community

Version 7.0.0.0 can't add old license key

Links used in this discussion
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2991)
Feb 26, 2021 11:18:30 am EST
Hello Max,

Thank you for your feedback.

This is really disappointing. I really wish you called your 6.12 beta version 7.x instead of tricking us into thinking it was another 6.12 release. I wouldn't have bothered testing the betas if I knew this to to be the case. "

We didn't intend to trick anyone. Beta version is, well, beta version. It can be any number. And initially we indeed wanted to make it another minor release. But then it were a lot of quite serious improvements so it could easily become version 7. That said, there is 7 years span between version 6 and 7 - unlike our competitors we do not release a major each and every year whether it's justified or not. Otherwise there would already be version 14 :)

Further, when someone inquired about getting a new beta update before March 1 expiry, this critical fact was neglected and downright misleading: "Yes, the final release will be made before the end of this month.

And we made the final release before the end of this month, just as we promised.

I just installed the RU Server 3.0 and then realized with the version bump to v7, I would need to pay for an upgrade. So now I'm stuck on a mix of 6.10.x's, beta 6.12's and a RU server running 3.0 I need to downgrade to 2.7 release. I really hope it doesn't bork the address books or settings.

Your address book will remain intact. Besides, there is address book backup enabled by default.

As for paid upgrade - our upgrade policy has always been very precise on this point. We exactly follow this policy.

https://www.remoteutilities.com/download/older-versions.php

So what is the last official 6.x release that I can still run? The 6.10.10 that is ancient and buggy that is almost 2 years old?  I don't even know if there was a minor update put out after the last time I upgraded my license in May 2019. Can you update the page above to include them, please?

We'll fix that page now leaving only version 6.10.10.0 avialble for download. Yes, the last minor update of version 6 is 6.10.10.0. And the server is 2.8.2.0.

Thanks.
MaxBlitzer, User (Posts: 68)
Feb 26, 2021 6:29:08 pm EST

Conrad Sallian wrote:

We didn't intend to trick anyone. Beta version is, well, beta version. It can be any number. And initially we indeed wanted to make it another minor release. But then it were a lot of quite serious improvements so it could easily become version 7. That said, there is 7 years span between version 6 and 7 - unlike our competitors we do not release a major each and every year whether it's justified or not. Otherwise there would already be version 14 :)

Well, you did. You went through several beta cycles under the 6.x version which gave me hope for getting improvements and fixes. You're pretty much alone in thinking that version scheme is meaningless and trivial.  Other companies would have just been clear from the start and called it a v7 beta.

Unfortunately, none of the new features interest me as much as just resolving a few issues that have been there for a while. Given they were not resolved in the last beta and I don't know what you've improved since then nor do I have the time or systems set aside to devote any time to QAing it, so... I was drawn to RUT years ago because of the perpetual license, but this specific event has caused me to switch to a subscription based service.

If you're thinking its a good thing there was 7 years span, I disagree. Not if it means nearly 2 years between supported stable builds instead of frequent updates. I'm burned out now on RUT, I don't have any expectation of bug resolutions that is satisfactory to me.

Having major releases every 1-3 years would be better from a financial point of view, as well ensuring you're properly road mapping your development instead of dropping new "major" releases like this.

Further, when someone inquired about getting a new beta update before March 1 expiry, this critical fact was neglected and downright misleading: "Yes, the final release will be made before the end of this month.

And we made the final release before the end of this month, just as we promised.

No, you're mistaken. You're "final release" was 6.10.10 in 2019.  The "new" release was Feb 25, 2021.

As for paid upgrade - our upgrade policy has always been very precise on this point. We exactly follow this policy.

Yes, and those are usually helpful, when releases are more frequent than 1.5 years.  Acronis puts out a new release each year (whether or not they need to). They're growing and offer both perpetual and subscription. They put out several releases a year, including updating previous versions 1-2 more times after the new release is out. When "major" updates occur regularly at 1 year intervals, it helps the product stay on the tracks and get back focus if they strayed too far one version from what their customers want.

https://www.remoteutilities.com/download/older-versions.php
We'll fix that page now leaving only version 6.10.10.0 avialble for download. Yes, the last minor update of version 6 is 6.10.10.0. And the server is 2.8.2.0.

Thanks.

Thanks
Feb 28, 2021 12:14:56 pm EST
Hello Max,

Unfortunately, none of the new features interest me as much as just resolving a few issues that have been there for a while. Given they were not resolved in the last beta and I don't know what you've improved since then nor do I have the time or systems set aside to devote any time to QAing it, so... I was drawn to RUT years ago because of the perpetual license, but this specific event has caused me to switch to a subscription based service.

Every single user has features or improvements in mind that they would like us to implement. Unfortunatley, it is impossible to satisfy all requirements at the same time (and ensure the improvements are not buggy). We have to prioritize.

As for upgrading to a newer version, it is not mandatory. Any customer can stay with version 6 if they are not happy with version 7. Even if they upgrade their key to version 7, their version 6 key still works, i.e. they can even roll back to that version if needed.

We are not going to introduce subscription-based service. The majority of our customers are happy with the current system from what we know. Besides, we have quite a few customers who fled our competitors' 'subscription camp' and chose Remote Utilities.

es, and those are usually helpful, when releases are more frequent than 1.5 years. Acronis puts out a new release each year (whether or not they need to). They're growing and offer both perpetual and subscription. They put out several releases a year, including updating previous versions 1-2 more times after the new release is out. When "major" updates occur regularly at 1 year intervals, it helps the product stay on the tracks and get back focus if they strayed too far one version from what their customers want.

We'll keep to a more frequent release schedule from now on.
MaxBlitzer, User (Posts: 68)
Mar 01, 2021 4:10:38 am EST

Conrad Sallian wrote:

As for upgrading to a newer version, it is not mandatory. Any customer can stay with version 6 if they are not happy with version 7. Even if they upgrade their key to version 7, their version 6 key still works, i.e. they can even roll back to that version if needed.

I would suggest in the future, not to deprecate the "Simple Update" feature then. Since v7 got released, doing a simple update prompts that a new viewer is available. If you sel ect yes, you're forced to install v7. If you select no, it doesn't proceed with simple update and the feature is therefore deprecated.  Work around is to use the Remote Install feature, though that takes longer with more clicks. Not the end of the world.

We'll keep to a more frequent release schedule fr om now on.

Anywhere I can find a roadmap or plan of what features you have prioritized next?
Mar 01, 2021 8:13:10 am EST
Hello Max,

I would suggest in the future, not to deprecate the "Simple Update" feature then. Since v7 got released, doing a simple update prompts that a new viewer is available. If you sel ect yes, you're forced to install v7. If you select no, it doesn't proceed with simple update and the feature is therefore deprecated. Work around is to use the Remote Install feature, though that takes longer with more clicks. Not the end of the world.

The simple update feature is supposed to be used to update to the most recent version. However, you are right saying that there are still ways to update to any other version (i.e. a previous version) using Remote install tool.

Anywhere I can find a roadmap or plan of what features you have prioritized next?

We do not publish a road map, sorry for that. I can say that our next priority is Mac/Linux release (Viewer and then Agent/Host) as well as updating mobile version with the ability to use a full-fledged address book (not just a list of entries). In fact, our highest priority is multi-platform support. Of course, we'll be adding minor improvements and fixes to the mix too.

Thanks.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)