Community

Reboot Clarification Please

Links used in this discussion
PCS, User (Posts: 3)
Mar 09, 2021 11:17:20 am EST
Support level: Starter
When running Agent on remote system (Run after reboot checked) and reboot initiated from Viewer there is no automatic re-connection: the Agent does start but the user has to (login with password if there is one) accept the UAC prompt to allow it to run. Only then can a connection be re-established. This would appear to be default behaviour but is rather counter-productive and therefore always requires person present during reboot (or else use some other remote software to reboot - which seems illogical but necessary).

Are there plans to make the Agent function to allow an unattended reboot? Seems this is sadly lacking at present. Yes I know I could install the Host package but then means uninstalling just for the sake of a reboot.

(Windows 10 with Agent 6 & 7)
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2832)
Mar 09, 2021 3:00:20 pm EST
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, this is expected behavior of Agent as it's a module intended to be used for spontaneous, attended-only remote sessions.

For the described scenario you can use Host instead as it allows unattended reboot and can start automatically at the remote machine's startup, as well as allows you to control UAC prompts remotely. In case if you don't want to use Host for security reasons, please note that there's a number of settings for enhancing Host's security, including 2-factor authentication and the Ask user permission feature that prompts the remote user to accept or reject an incoming connection.

Hope that helps.
Mar 09, 2021 6:15:33 pm EST
Thanks for that. It has clarified what I thought. However you will understand that when providing 'spontaneous' support it is often necessary to restart a system - and asking a user to wait and then accept UAC (again) often proves confusing. Security shouldn't be an issue with auto-reconnect/bypassing the UAC on restart as the user has already accepted the original connection and generally expects the session (reboot or not) to be active until terminated.

In order to be able to reboot on a 'spontaneous' session without user interaction by means of installing Host is overkill and largely unnecessary - and the idea of installing it on a remote system could be deemed concerning in itself.

I do understand your intention of the Agent module as described, I just feel that it lacks in this area. If this feature is planned for the future (even if only in paid version)  I am sure that it would be a far more investable product for many.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2991)
Mar 11, 2021 2:12:41 pm EST
Hi PCS,

I can assume that you are looking for a feature which is a combination of "Run after reboot" and "Restart agent as.." (with elevated privileges). That is, you want to restart the remote computer and have the remote Agent start automatically with elevated privileges under the standard Windows user.

Unfortunately, that won't work. You cannot run Agent with elevated privileges automatically after Windows reboot under a standard user. That is, you can have it "Run after reboot" under the standard user but you'll have to explicitly provide admin credentials to elevate privileges, and this will require re-running the Agent (see Restart agent as).
Mar 11, 2021 7:34:55 pm EST
Typical support scenario:
- (Remote) user is admin account running Agent - so no need to 'restart as ..'.
- User is doing something else/away from screen but I need to reboot the remote PC
- 'Run after reboot' checked.
- Remote PC restarted from within Viewer
- No reconnection * because the remote user has to be at screen to accept UAC prompt to allow the Agent to start. Only then can re-connection occur. *

I don't know why this seems to be an odd request. Plenty of other software can reboot and maintain the same connection without issue.

This has always been an issue and prevented further investment to otherwise a great program. I like RU and want to like it more and had high hopes for v7 - but so far this has slow connection issues and this same lack of reconnection during spontaneous support.
Boris Rudoy, User (Posts: 33)
Mar 11, 2021 7:35:41 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
I am sure,  run exe with elevated privileges automatically is not a RU area of support.
But as usual exists some workaround. Topic starter can take a look on:
https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/automatically-elevate-batch-file-run-administrator/
It's may help.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)