Community

upgrading from agent to host

Links used in this discussion
john kumpf, User (Posts: 82)
Mar 14, 2021 10:08:02 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I'm running v6.10.10.0. I have a customer run the agent. However, for various reasons, I want to install the host, eg so I can log in later unattended.

Is it possible to do this?

I was able to use remote install to install a host.msi package.

However, that did not use the agent's ID and password, and required generating a new ID and password. I can't do that remotely. Someone needs to be in front of the remote computer, even if I already have agent access.

I tried the MSI Configurator, but there appeared to be no way to specify a Connection ID in that tool.

I could specify the password, which worked.

I can ask it to generate a unique ID itself, which worked, But again, someone needs to be in front of that computer to report that ID.

I see that the MSI Configurator provides for SMTP delivery of the ID/Password, however, on any given remote machine, SMTP delivery is unreliable. I have not been able to get it to work. I don't have gmail. Also will not the password be in plain text in the email? Surely there are methods that are more convenient, reliable AND secure than that?

So, what solutions exist for essentially unattended upgrade from Agent to Host?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Mar 15, 2021 5:17:54 pm EDT
Hello John,

Thank you for your message.

However, that did not use the agent's ID and password, and required generating a new ID and password.

Unfortunately, there is no way to set a specific Internet-ID code for neither Host nor Agent - even if installed on the same machine Host and Agent will always have different Internet-ID codes. However, we plan to add a feature that will allow converting Agent into Host remotely and import Agent's current settings - this will be added in our future updates, but, unfortunately, we cannot provide any specific ETA on this feature yet.

In this case, we recommend that you configure a One-Click installation package via the MSI Configurator Tool and enable the following checkboxes on Step 3: Advanced options:
  • Set or upd ate Internet-ID connection settings
  • Generate a new Internet-ID code
  • Send Internet-ID to email
  • Automatically generate Host password
In addition, please try configuring an SMTP server information as described in this guide. Please note that you don't need to use a Gmail account, you can use any available email that you have, for example, you can also use such services as Mailjet which is convenient for the purpose of setting up the SMTP server in case if you need to be sending a relatively small amount of emails.

Also will not the password be in plain text in the email? Surely there are methods that are more convenient, reliable AND secure than that?

In case if you se t up the SMTP server during the configuration process as described above, then you should receive an Internet-ID code and access password to you in an encrypted e-mail message upon the Host's installation. You can add this Host to your address book via the Add using code feature which will automatically add a new connection to your address book with the ID and access password of the remote Host you received in the encrypted form.

Hope that helps.
john kumpf, User (Posts: 82)
Mar 15, 2021 5:57:43 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
It does help. The "add with code" does make it more secure. Happy to see that. However we can pre-configure the password, so why not the ID?

I looked into mailjet. Their free account is advertised as not requiring a credit card, but the sign-up process, did, in fact, require a credit card.

With encrypted SSL/TLS email and SMTP requiring authentication it's tricky.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Mar 16, 2021 7:56:44 am EDT
Hello John,

So, what solutions exist for essentially unattended upgrade from Agent to Host?

The ability to "convert" Agent to Host (with proper admin credentials required, of course) is on our roadmap.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)