New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

RU server Newbie

Links used in this discussion
pacific lighting, User (Posts: 1)
Mar 23, 2021 7:20:56 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I have installed the RU server 3.0 on Win-10:
1. There is no icon for starting it anywhere. The service is running. How do I launch the executable?
2. Which viewer(s) will work with this server (on the client pc)?

Thanks.
David Silvera, User (Posts: 16)
Mar 23, 2021 9:29:02 pm EDT
Hi pacific lightning,

1. The server is installed as a Windows Service. So it is running in the background all the time.
2. It's recommended to use the current versions of the programs to avoid any possible bugs using mismatched versions. So use version 7.x.x of the viewer with RU Server 3.x.x.
But I have tested version 6.10.10.0 viewer with the new server 3.x.x as a relay server and the connection works. Just keep in mind that you won't get the benefit of the new features of RU Server 3.x when using previous versions of the Viewer.

Hope this helps.
Trent, User (Posts: 56)
Mar 24, 2021 8:49:03 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Pacific, also be sure you understand the differences between the HOST and the SERVER.  Host is what you install on a computer to be able to make a connection to it from a VIEWER.

SERVER is only for relaying connections from your Viewer to your Host(s).  It is not necessary to install your own server since Remote Utilities provides public Servers to use as well.

Here's the overview that explains the different modules:

https://www.remoteutilities.com/product/
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Mar 24, 2021 10:29:41 am EDT
Hello everyone,

Thank you for your messages.

David and Trent, thank you very much for your input.

There is no icon for starting it anywhere. The service is running. How do I launch the executable?

As David correctly mentioned, the RU Server is running on the background as a system process. However, it's also possible to stop/start the Server from the Windows Start menu as well as launch Administration and Server configuration windows.

Which viewer(s) will work with this server (on the client pc)?

If you mean the self-hosted RU Server then we recommend installing the latest version 3 as it's compatible even with earlier versions of Viewer/Host.
In case if you mean the module installed on the remote machine, then as Trent correctly pointed out, that will be the Host module. Please note that we recommend using the latest version for both Host and Viewer (as of this writing it's 7.0.0.1) in order to avoid the version mismatch.
In addition, perhaps, this Quick Start Guide might provide some helpful information on RU modules and ways to connect to a remote machine.

Please let us know if you have more questions.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Mar 24, 2021 10:57:16 am EDT
Strictly speaking, our Host is also a "server" (as in the "client-server" architecture). It's only that we call it Host to distinguish from RU Server.

RU Server package consists of two parts - a client, which is the Admin Console and the server, which is the actual service running on the computer where RU Server is deployed.

Usually both parts are installed during RU Server installation. Then you can administer the service from the Admin Console - i.e. connect locally from 'client' to 'server' on the same machine. However, you can also connect from Admin Console installed on another computer. Before you do that you should configure access to the service in Configuration -> Administrator console tab ("allow TCP/IP connection"):

RU server Newbie - 24 Mar 2021 10:54:55

That said, for remote management of RU Server it is more practical to just install Host on the RU Server machine connect from the Viewer and then run the Admin Console on the server machine. That's at least how most users use it according to what we can see from the feedback.

My two cents to the discussion.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)