Community

Connection blocked

Links used in this discussion
maro inu, User (Posts: 6)
Apr 28, 2021 8:19:27 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I used to be able to remote in from this particular hotel's WIFI, but I can no longer do so. How can I troubleshoot and resolve this issue? Is there a port that is being used by Remote Utilities that can be changed? Thanks.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Apr 28, 2021 9:49:02 am EDT
Hello Maro,

Thank you for your message.

We haven't changed any ports that are used by Remote Utilities, you can see the list of ports used here. It might be that access to Remote Utilities is being blocked on the ISP level for this hotel, specifically if they have WatchGuard deployed on the ISP level. We've already been reported similar issues caused by WatchGuard which is affecting different machines located in different networks. For more information please see this thread. In this case, you can check with the ISP that provides internet connection to this hotel and ask them to look into the issue from their side.

However, just to be on the safe side, you can also provide us the Host and Viewer logs, so we can additionally examine them. The Host logs are located in the following folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\Logs\. Here's also how you can obtain the Viewer logs.
Please do not post the log files at the forum as they are considered personal information. You can send the logs to support@remoteutilities.com.

Looking forward to your reply.
Apr 28, 2021 6:24:14 pm EDT
Hi Polina, I sent the viewer's log to your email account. Let me know if there is workaround or if push comes to shove, I can contact the hotel's IT Dept. Thanks.
Apr 29, 2021 10:24:42 am EDT
Hello Maro,

Thank you for the provided log files.

I've examined the logs and have noticed the following error:
Socket Error # 10054 Connection reset by peer.
According to the Windows Socket Error Codes list this error entry means the following:
Connection reset by peer.
An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. This normally results if the peer application on the remote host is suddenly stopped, the host is rebooted, the host or remote network interface is disabled, or the remote host uses a hard close (see setsockopt for more information on the SO_LINGER option on the remote socket). This error may also result if a connection was broken due to keep-alive activity detecting a failure while one or more operations are in progress. Operations that were in progress fail with WSAENETRESET. Subsequent operations fail with WSAECONNRESET.

This probably means that something is blocking access to Remote Utilities on the Viewer's side - for example, it might be a firewall or router on the hotel's perimeter or even their ISP.
Could you please clarify if you're having issue when connecting to only one specific remote Host from Viewer in this network or does the issue occur when connecting to any other Host as well? Or if possible, please let us know if you're able to connect from Viewer located in any other network to the same Host?

Last but not least, I've also noticed in the log file that you use Viewer of version 6.10.10.0. Please consider updating your Remote Utilities installation to the latest version available - as of this writing, it's version 7.0.1.0 - starting version 7 we've implemented a number of fixes and changes to improve the overall connection speed and performance. For more information please see Release Notes.
Version 7.0.1.0 is available for download on this page. When updating, please make sure to update both Viewer and Host as the version mismatch might lead to performance issues or some features not working.

Looking forward to your reply.
Apr 29, 2021 7:59:52 pm EDT
I can connect to hosts fine fr om other networks, but not on this particular hotel's network which fails to connect to any hosts, no matter wh ere they are located. Also I upgraded the viewer to the latest version, but that doesn't help with the issue. Any ideas or workarounds besides contacting the hotel's IT? What if I install a RU server on my home network and configuring it with different ports? Thanks.
Apr 30, 2021 11:48:06 am EDT
Hello Maro,

Thank you for the clarification.

Any ideas or workarounds besides contacting the hotel's IT? What if I install a RU server on my home network and configuring it with different ports?

Yes, you can definitely try configuring your custom self-hosted RU Server - this way, regardless of what is blocked on the hotel's perimeter - access to our servers, or ports used by RU), you should be able to access your own server or use your custom port values. Here's a guide on setting up the relay RU Server that might be helpful. In addition, please make sure that your Server is accessible directly from the outside. Here's a guide on making the RU Server accessible.
Alternatively, you still can refer to the hotel's IT department and ask them to check if they're blocking any of the required ports or access to Remote Utilities.

Hope that helps.
Apr 30, 2021 11:57:53 am EDT
Polina, I will give that a try. Thanks for all your help!

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)