New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Host 'keep alive' frequency?

Mike G, User (Posts: 47)
Apr 02, 2014 4:14:28 am EDT
Hi,
What is the frequency the host PC sends a 'I'm alive' back to the gateway server? I ask because it seems, more often than not, my first attempt at a connection (using your GMS) 'fails' and my subsequent attempt connects almost instantly. For example, I right-click on a host entry and select 'Full Control'. The entry icon changes to the 2 bars || and will sit like that for 20 seconds or so until it just reverts back to the PC monitor icon. I then try again (right-click, full control) and usually the viewer window pops up almost immediately (within a second or so). Why is this? Can we tune this to get a connection on the first try (consistently)?

Thanks,
Anton Kalugin, User (Posts: 209)
Apr 02, 2014 9:21:40 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hello, Mike.

Mike G wrote:
What is the frequency the host PC sends a 'I'm alive' back to the gateway server?

Host and GMS are сonstantly sending packets to each other.

Mike G wrote:
I ask because it seems, more often than not, my first attempt at a connection (using your GMS) 'fails' and my subsequent attempt connects almost instantly. For example, I right-click on a host entry and select 'Full Control'. The entry icon changes to the 2 bars || and will sit like that for 20 seconds or so until it just reverts back to the PC monitor icon. I then try again (right-click, full control) and usually the viewer window pops up almost immediately (within a second or so). Why is this? Can we tune this to get a connection on the first try (consistently)?

It looks like the connection between Viewer and GMS (or between Host and GMS) is bad.
Could you please test it by using "ping 72.55.184.118 -t" (observe the connection for a couple of minutes) on both computers.
Mike G, User (Posts: 47)
Apr 03, 2014 4:18:43 pm EDT
Ping tests are consistent between the couple of customers I've tried and my location. They/we are all getting between 110-120ms ping. It looks like the location is in Canada. Are there any hosted GMS servers in the UK? (other than hosting our own, of course). If not, any plans to open other public GMS servers? We are wary of hosting our own. While we would enjoy the speed increase, I assume your setup would be more resilient with multiple servers, etc.

If we were to change our customers to our own GMS, can we do this remotely?

Thanks,
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Apr 03, 2014 4:29:08 pm EDT
Hi Mike,

Are there any hosted GMS servers in the UK? (other than hosting our own, of course). If not, any plans to open other public GMS servers?

We are planning on deployment European servers very soon.

If we were to change our customers to our own GMS, can we do this remotely?

You change the mediation server address in the "Internet ID settings -> Advanced" on the Host. Yes, during a session you can remotely change the server the Host is pointing at. However, the remote customer will have to restart the Host (Stop Host then Start Host) so that the Host applies the new setting. Or you can simply reboot the remote PC, or reboot the Host service using a .bat script.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)