Community

the viewer shows two entries and two verions of host?

Links used in this discussion
asdffdsa, User (Posts: 41)
May 07, 2021 10:04:14 am EDT
Support level: Starter
hello, i am a paid customer, using windows.

viewer= 7.0.1.0

for one internet-id host, viewer shows two entries, each with a diffferent version.
the viewer shows two entries and two verions of host? - 07 May 2021 10:04:07
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
May 07, 2021 12:44:58 pm EDT
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Perhaps, this was caused by the address book file being somehow corrupted (might have been caused by some antivirus/firewall activity).
Could you please try updating one of the Hosts to the latest version 7.0.1.0 via the Self-Update feature. Then try logging on or connecting to the remote Host - after doing so, the information in your address book regarding the Host version should update automatically. In this case, you can simply delete the other connection entry.

Hope that helps.
May 07, 2021 12:57:05 pm EDT
thanks,

1. the host has no way to tell the viewer that the update has completed sucessfully or has failed, is that correct?
2. if a user is working on the host computer, will the user notice the update process or is the update hidden from the user?
Edited:asdffdsa - May 07, 2021 12:57:47 pm EDT
May 07, 2021 2:22:34 pm EDT
Hello,

1. the host has no way to tell the viewer that the update has completed sucessfully or has failed, is that correct?

Yes, unfortunately, for now you need to re-log on to the remote Host after the update, so Viewer can get an updated information on the Host's version. However, we will improve this mechanism in our future updates, so the Viewer will fetch the information on the Host's version automatically.

2. if a user is working on the host computer, will the user notice the update process or is the update hidden from the user?

Update process is occurring in the background - i.e. Host will update itself automatically and then restart without any action required from the remote user. The only thing that a remote user can notice is that the Host icon will disappear from the system tray for 1-2 minutes while Host is updating - after Host has restarted the icon will be back in the system tray again.

Hope that helps.
May 07, 2021 5:07:01 pm EDT
after the update, no longer able to connect.

i removed both hosts from the viewer, tried to add the host again and that failed.

so i have lost control.
May 11, 2021 4:29:08 pm EDT
Hello,

Thank you for the update on this.

Could you please clarify if you see the remote Host as offline in your address book or if your connection is stuck at the window with a "world map"? In addition, could you please double-check if Host is running at the remote machine, i.e. that you can locate its icon in the system tray?

Looking forward to your reply.
May 11, 2021 5:34:23 pm EDT
thanks,
the host is "Offline/Unknown"
May 12, 2021 11:38:20 am EDT
Hello,

Thank you for the clarification.

Could you please also let me know if you're able to check if Host is running on the remote machine, i.e. if you see the Host icon in the system tray? In case if there's no Host icon in the system tray, then it might mean that the issue might also be caused if the rfusclient.exe was somehow removed from the Host installation folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\ (perhaps, by some antivirus software activity). Please double check if the rfusclient.exe file is present in the Host installation folder and try referring to this troubleshooting guide.
In case if the solution suggested on the KB page does not help, please let us know, so we can proceed with further troubleshooting.

Please let us know if the issue persists.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)