New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Self hosted - persist internet-id server in default connection props

G E, User (Posts: 2)
May 14, 2021 12:33:48 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
In the remote utilities viewer, under Tools > Default connection Properties there is a dialog that pops up.    Under Internet-ID, you can change it from "Default" to your own self-hosted server.    Problem is, it does not appear that when you hit OK, the information is persisted.  It always goes back to "Default" if you close and reopen the dialog.

Since the data does not save, every time I create a new connection, I have to go in and change the internet-id server to my self hosted server address.

Is my install just bjorked or is there a way to save my server as the "default"?   Why does the above dialog exist if it doesn't save the data you input??
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
May 14, 2021 4:48:24 pm EDT
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

This issue might be occurring if the Viewer configuration file was somehow corrupted (for example, by some antivirus or firewall software).
Please, try the following:
1. Fully exit the Viewer File -> Exit.
2. Locate the file config_4.xml in the C:\Users\[Your_username]\AppData\Roaming\Remote Utilities Files\ folder.
Please note that the AppData folder might be hidden by default in which case you need to enable "Hidden files and folders" in Windows Explorer settings.
3. Remove the config_4.xml file from that folder.
This will reset the Viewer settings. Your address books won't be affected by this action, but you will need to register your Viewer with your license key once again.
4. Run Viewer and try setting up server in the Default Connection Properties menu as your self-hosted RU Server once again.

Please let me know if the issue persists.
G E, User (Posts: 2)
May 14, 2021 6:18:12 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I was wondering if that might be where the problem was - I probably should have tried renaming that file before posting just to see if that fixed it.  

Before posting, I ran process monitor, saw the program accessing that file, so I checked it out and it was full of NUL characters, which obviously didn't seem right for an XML file.

Anyhow, deleting the file did seem to correct the issue.   Thanks!!
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
May 17, 2021 4:19:49 pm EDT
Hello,

I'm glad to hear this helped to resolve the issue and it works for you now!

Please feel free to post another message if you have more questions or need our assistance.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)