New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Connection through VPN

Links used in this discussion
Arnaud, User (Posts: 1)
Mar 05, 2021 9:15:41 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
Helo everyone,
I have Viewer 7.0.0.1 for Windows with a free licence for entreprises and 7.0.0.1 viewer on PC's.
I could connect with the viewer in the LAN, all it's OK, but i could'nt connect the PC who are in the VPN???
This feature is enable, with the free licence?
Best regards

Soryy for my poor english, i'm a french user^^
Boris Rudoy, User (Posts: 33)
Mar 05, 2021 11:01:59 am EST
I have the same problem - laptop connected over VPN to work network not available to connect by local IP address. It's not a RU bug, it's VPN client proper behavior.
Workaround : Just use Internet-ID connection instead of Direct connection
Edited:Boris Rudoy - Mar 05, 2021 11:03:01 am EST
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Mar 05, 2021 4:38:16 pm EST
Hello Arnaud and Boris,

Thank you for your messages.

As Boris has correctly mentioned, this is rather expected behavior - Direct connection can be only established if your Host and Viewer are located in the same LAN/VPN.
In this case, we recommend that you access your remote Host machine via the Internet-ID connection - please also note that Remote Utilities has a built-in mechanism that detects direct route between Host and Viewer and, if available, uses it automatically.

Hope that helps.
samw, User (Posts: 2)
May 08, 2021 11:36:20 pm EDT

Polina wrote:

Hello Arnaud and Boris,

Thank you for your messages.

As Boris has correctly mentioned, this is rather expected behavior - Direct connection can be only established if your Host and Viewer are located in the same LAN/VPN.
In this case, we recommend that you access your remote Host machine via the Internet-ID connection - please also note that Remote Utilities has a built-in mechanism that detects direct route between Host and Viewer and, if available, uses it automatically.

Hope that helps.

Hi there,
I've a similar situation. I'm working from home with my company-issued laptop. I can connect to my personal desktop via either direct connection or internet-ID connection. However, once my company laptop has enabled its Cisco Anywhere VPN connection, it can't connect to my personal desktop, not even via internet-ID connection. In fact, so far,  [censored] is the only one I can use while company laptop has VPN enabled. Quite a few other remote connect software I have tried have the same issue. Is there a way RU can be configured to make it work in this scenario? Thanks!
May 12, 2021 5:56:28 pm EDT
Hello,

Thank you for your message and sorry for the late reply.

Perhaps, the issue might be caused by the Cisco software blocking the ports required for Remote Utilities to work correctly. Could you please double-check if the following ports are opened when the Cisco VPN is enabled on the remote machine (perhaps, you might need to check with the network administrator):
1. Inbound TCP port 5650 for Direct connection.
2. Outbound TCP ports 5655 or 443 for Internet-ID connection.
For more information on ports used by Remote Utilities please see this page.
In addition, perhaps this troubleshooting guide might provide some helpful information.

Hope that helps.
samw, User (Posts: 2)
May 16, 2021 2:32:22 pm EDT
Thanks Polina. Any way I can check by myself if the two mentioned in and out ports are open without going through my network administrator? Also, do you think if installing the RU server on my host computer (the one to be remotely connected) will help in this case? My logic is if  [censored] works, there must be a way to make this work as well.
May 17, 2021 5:30:59 pm EDT
Hello,

Of course, it is possible to check if some certain ports are opened using telnet or netstat commands via the Command line prompt. The following guides might be also useful:
1. How to check opened TCP/IP Ports in Windows.
2. How to check if a port Is opened.

Also, do you think if installing the RU server on my host computer (the one to be remotely connected) will help in this case?

Yes, of course, if our default ports or even access to our servers were blocked for some reason (perhaps, on the company's perimeter firewall), then it's possible to use self-hosted RU Server instead - this way you are in control of your entire infrastructure and it's also possible to set up custom ports of choice when using RU Server. Here are the links that might provide some useful information on the RU Server:
1. RU Server overview.
2. How to set up relay server.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)