Community

Host Notification Hidden on Remote

Links used in this discussion
Cortexian, User (Posts: 3)
May 19, 2021 4:39:58 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Here is my use case:

I run a homelab spread across two physical locations. My home, and my parents home. I am running my own self-hosted RU Server because I like to homelab and tinker, I also like to be in control of my software.

I don't always have physical access to the machines at my parents home, so it's sometimes difficult to get the Host Notification message dismissed. It also gets in the way of the tray icons and options sometimes since it's set to "display on top" of all other windows and cannot be moved.

I understand the need to have a Host Notification message, especially on free licenses, in order to discourage malicious use by scammers and the like.

With all of this in mind: Would it be possible to hide the Host Notification message on remote sessions, or allow us to MOVE the Host Notification window around? It should be possible to make it always "jump" into the viewport if someone tries to move it off-screen. This will keep it in view of the local user, but prevent it from becoming a hinderance to actual support workers.

Thanks for the consideration on this feature change!
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
May 19, 2021 5:32:48 pm EDT
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please clarify if you mean the First connection warning window? If this is the case, please note that this warning is shown only once and is not displayed if the remote user clicks on it once. However, we do plan to revamp the First connection warning window, so it would be possible to move the window. Unfortunately, we cannot provide any specific ETA on this yet, but thank you for the feature suggestion!

Please let us know if you have other questions.
Cortexian, User (Posts: 3)
May 19, 2021 5:36:28 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Yes, I am referring to the First Connection Warning window. I didn't know the exact terminology, thanks!

Ideally it wouldn't be displayed at all to support operators. Afterall, it is obvious to someone connecting remotely with Remote Utilities Viewer that Remote Utilities has been installed!

However, if that isn't possible, having the ability to move the window around would work as an alternative! Thanks!
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
May 20, 2021 9:12:08 am EDT
Hello,

Ideally it wouldn't be displayed at all to support operators. Afterall, it is obvious to someone connecting remotely with Remote Utilities Viewer that Remote Utilities has been installed!

The First connection warning was implemented as a security measure in order to avoid rogue use of the software. Please note that the first connection warning window won't appear if the first connection to the remote computer is established from a Viewer registered with a PRO or SITE license.

However, if that isn't possible, having the ability to move the window around would work as an alternative!

Yes, we definitely plan to make it possible to move the window in order to make it less intrusive and more convenient for our users.

Please let us know if you have more questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)