New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

How to monitor user operation on VMware ESXi Virtual Machien

Links used in this discussion
Steven Xing, User (Posts: 11)
Jun 03, 2021 9:09:15 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
We have a VMware ESXi VM which is installed by Remote Utilities - Host 7.0.2, normally our users will RDP to it, I start viewer mode on Viewer while user RDP and operate on the VM, the viewer just shows Windows login screen, only when I login from VMware remote console, the Viewer can see the operation.

How can I monitor RDP user's operation?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jun 04, 2021 11:35:14 am EDT
Hello Steven,

Thank you for your message.

Please note that Remote Utilities works in a console session and displays exactly what is shown on a remote display which is the reason why you see the Windows logon screen when connecting to a remote machine. Please try using the Terminal user switch icon on the Full Control mode's Toolbar to switch to a specific session and see if this helps.

Please let me know if you have more questions.
Jun 04, 2021 11:57:57 am EDT
No, it doesn't work. Yes, when click Terminal user switch it will have option of user session, but no matter click which session, the full control screen shows only the logon screen.
Jun 04, 2021 2:05:00 pm EDT
Hello Steven,

Thank you for the clarification.

Could you please clarify if you're connecting to a Server OS or a Client OS and if the terminal session you select is active? Please note that when you want to switch between terminal sessions using the Toolbar menu, the sessions must be active, i.e. running. You cannot create terminal sessions with Remote Utilities, only switch to existing ones.
In addition, please note that in case if your Host is running on a Client OS, such as Windows 7 or Windows 10, unfortunately, it won't be possible to connect to an existing session this way.

In case if your Host is installed on a Server OS and the terminal session that you want to connect to is active, then please double-check if the RDP client is configured properly, as such issues might be caused by the RDP client on a server machine being configured for Client OS.

Hope that helps.
Jun 04, 2021 3:50:48 pm EDT
I am connecting to Windows Server 2016 which is installed in Windows Server 2008 level domain.

When I switch to the session, the terminal session is active, because I am connecting, testing on the server via RDP from another Windows 10 desktop.

Sorry, I am not understand "as such issues might be caused by the RDP client on a server machine being configured for Client OS."
Jun 04, 2021 4:33:33 pm EDT
Hello Steven,

Thank you for the clarification.

Could you please also let me know if you try logging in (i.e. within your Full Control window), when switching to the needed terminal session and getting the Windows login screen - does this action logs out the other user who was previously connected to the remote Host machine in an RDP session?

Looking forward to your reply.
Jun 04, 2021 5:51:53 pm EDT
View mode and full control both works now when I switch to user RDP session, all is because I reboot target computer.

Sorry for trouble you just because I forgot this simple solution
Jun 04, 2021 7:16:42 pm EDT
One more question, I enable video screen recorder and it recorded the session but the session is not user RDP session. It just records all Windows logon screen while I RDP to target server and watched a movie.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jun 08, 2021 12:17:04 pm EDT
Hello Steven,

The video recording feature always records what is literally in your Full Control mode window. I.e. this has nothing to do with terminal sessions etc.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)