Community

Beta testing: Remote Utilities for macOS/Linux

Links used in this discussion
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Aug 01, 2022 3:42:44 pm EDT
Hello Nijel,

Thank you for the provided feedback! We're happy to hear that the latest beta works well for you!

As for the address book related issue - it was already fixed in the latest beta version update. Please let us know if the issue persists.

Please let us know if you have more questions or need our assistance.
James Higham, User (Posts: 5)
Aug 08, 2022 6:33:52 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial

Conrad Sallian wrote:

Hello,

We have rebuilt beta 12 (the files have now been replaced). Please, download them here and try installing again.

Let us know if the issue persists.

Thanks.

Hi
After a couple of weeks use, i can report that this version is working fine for me.
Thanks again for your links to the older version - and promptly fixing the issue.
James
Aug 08, 2022 6:52:46 pm EDT
Hello James,

Thank you for your feedback!

Please feel free to let us know if you have more questions or need our assistance. We’re always happy to help!
Yoel S, User (Posts: 4)
Sep 11, 2022 4:38:02 pm EDT
Hello, any way to use RDP from mac?
i would really like to be able to use it with RDP
Sep 12, 2022 5:26:27 pm EDT
Hello Yoel,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, Viewer for Mac/Linux doesn't support the RDP connection mode. However, I'll forward your inquiry to our development department for a review to see if we can somehow implement this feature in our future updates (which, if doable, might take a little longer than other connection methods due to the RDP's nature).

Please let us know if you have other questions.
Yoel S, User (Posts: 4)
Sep 12, 2022 5:29:42 pm EDT
Thanks
as Microsoft already made RDP app for mac, i think it might be easier to implement
Sep 12, 2022 6:44:01 pm EDT
Hello Yoel,

Of course, thank you for your feedback! We will keep everyone updated and will definitely announce all new features as soon they’re added for Viewer for Mac/Linux.

Please let us know if you have more questions.
Philip Holan, User (Posts: 1)
Dec 05, 2022 1:09:03 pm EST
Hello,
We have been a business license owner and user of your software for many years. We have contacted you guys several years back and were told that you would be working actively on this beta and that it would eventually have the file transfer feature we require in order to do our remote support. The owner of the company wanted me to log in and see if this has been completed yet, like we were told it would be a few years back. I see file transfer for Mac OS is still not an option and my boss was very unhappy with this news. When can you have the file transfer feature in the beta ready for us licensed users? We really need this done ASAP since it was told to us years back that that feature would be implemented "soon" and is still not available. He now wants to know if getting a refund for our business package license is an option since we have waited long enough for this feature. It has been in beta for almost 3 years now with no file transfer option at all. Please respond with a support email if you can so we can discuss this further since we have purchased so many licenses for your product.
Thank you for a quick response,
Tim S.
Dec 05, 2022 3:36:18 pm EST
Hello Tim,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, the File Transfer connection mode is yet to be implemented for Viewer for Mac/Linux along with Power Control mode and a few other features that are included in our roadmap for the final release. Please note that even though providing support for Mac/Linux clients is among our top priorities at the moment, we're always transparent with providing an approximate ETA for releases, if possible (or we always let a user know that we can't provide a specific ETA). The final stable release will definitely include the File Transfer connection mode (or it might be available even in earlier subsequent beta version), but, unfortunately, we can't name an exact date when it's going to be available.

Please respond with a support email if you can so we can discuss this further since we have purchased so many licenses for your product.

Please contact our Sales department using this form - they will be able to assist you in that matter and discuss options further.

Let us know if you have more questions.
Nijel Terry, User (Posts: 55)
Dec 05, 2022 5:25:29 pm EST
Tim S,

Although not the most time efficient or reliable way, with the current Windows and Linux/Mac Remote Utilities versions available, by the application of Virtual Machines it is possible to use the Remote Utilities Windows Viewer from Mac or Linux to transfer files to other native or virtual Windows computers . You can run the Windows Viewer on a virtual Windows machine on Mac or Linux and connect to other virtual or native Windows machines. There is a very fine open source program called Syncthing that accomplishes file transfers between computers of any O/S with no intermediary storage servers either by LAN or over the internet.

Obviously the scenario I just described has it's flaws and limitations and isn't as easy or flexible as having Windows version features on the Mac/Linux version.

I'm with you in the need of a completed native Linux/Mac Remote Utilities Host and Viewer that has all of the Windows features, but for now we have to work with what is available, or use another remote access program. With some creativity, even when the direct route isn't there, there is usually a roundabout way of accomplishing a goal.

I hope this is helpful to you and others.

Nijel

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)