Community

Beta testing: Remote Utilities for macOS/Linux

Links used in this discussion
john kumpf, User (Posts: 82)
Apr 08, 2023 4:10:28 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I have been using the beta viewer on Mac. I am happy with it.

Having trouble mapping the modifier keys (ALT, CTRL, SHIFT) from mac to windows but I'm working on it.

Can't figure out how to Shift+click.

I need to shift click something in  my application and I can't find a way to do it.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Apr 10, 2023 11:16:30 am EDT
Hello John,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please let us know what happens now when you click Shift+Click and what is the exact expected result so that we could try to reproduce this?

Looking forward to your reply.
Apr 10, 2023 4:49:38 pm EDT
In windows file explorer shift+click brings up a menu that contains "Copy as Path". It also changes the "Delete" option into delete permanently (bypass recycle bin).

Also in windows file explorer, shift+Delete key deletes permanently (bypassing recycle bin).

There are workarounds  for those. The windows file explorer ribbon menu has a Delete drop-down that deletes permanently, for example.

I was using the application "FastCopy". it has a "Listing" button. If you click the listing button, it lists to the screen. if you Shift+click the Listing button, it lists to a file. I would like to list to a file. I can't find a way to do that.

I should have mentioned, Shift+character while typing does insert capital letters as it should. So the Shift modifier works in that case.
Apr 10, 2023 5:05:26 pm EDT
Hello John,

Thank you for the clarification.

We will test this out in our environment to see if we're able to reproduce the issue and fix it in our future updates.

I'll keep you updated.
Apr 11, 2023 3:08:50 pm EDT
My mac viewer to windows 8 host is acting such that the Windows key is continually pressed on the remote machine.

Clicking around works.

But when I try to type a 'd' char, for example, into a text box, it shows the desktop (minimizes all windows) as if I had typed WIN+D.

I tried spamming the CMD and/or OPT keys, closing the viewer window and reopening, disconnecting and reconnecting.

I have not tried: rebooting the host (it's an agent, so I have to remember to set 'rerun after reboot' and turn off Windows UAC).

I aslo have not tried closing the whole viewer and restarting the viewer.
Apr 11, 2023 3:13:57 pm EDT
On the Plus side, rebooting the installed host reconnected automatically on my viewer side. I just had to re-enter the  password. But it reused the same viewer window and re-logged in and refreshed the display view to be current.
Apr 11, 2023 3:32:35 pm EDT
Hello John,

Yes, when you restart Host, Viewer will wait for it to restart and try re-connecting to it in the same session automatically.
Please try restarting your Viewer as well (make sure to fully exit it with File -> Exit) and see if this helps to fix the issue with the Windows key.

Let us know if this helps.
Apr 11, 2023 3:40:32 pm EDT

john kumpf wrote:

My mac viewer to windows 8 host is acting such that the Windows key is continually pressed on the remote machine.

Clicking around works.

But when I try to type a 'd' char, for example, into a text box, it shows the desktop (minimizes all windows) as if I had typed WIN+D.

I tried spamming the CMD and/or OPT keys, closing the viewer window and reopening, disconnecting and reconnecting.

I have not now tried: rebooting the host (it's an agent, so I have to remember to set 'rerun after reboot' and turn off Windows UAC).

I also have not now tried closing the whole viewer and restarting the viewer.

None of it worked.

But WIN modifier key is off now, I'm not sure how that happened.
Apr 11, 2023 4:37:23 pm EDT
Hello John,

Perhaps, it was some temporary glitch. I'm glad to hear that it works for you now!

I'll let you know once there's an update regarding the Shift key.
Apr 11, 2023 5:34:27 pm EDT
It happened again. Typing 'o' performed a WIN+O.

This time hitting the Shift modifier key seemed to break out of the WIN modifier down mode.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)