New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Beta testing: Remote Utilities for macOS/Linux

Links used in this discussion
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jul 25, 2020 8:21:07 am EDT
Hello Klaus-Uwe,

Thank you for your interest.

It was actually a mistake on the site, we've just fixed it. The Viewer for Linux beta license works until the end of July. Before it expires, we'll update it and extend the beta period too.

So you can download and use it now, no problem.
Glyn Williams, User (Posts: 4)
Jul 31, 2020 2:12:43 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hi

I've just started remote viewer and I and getting 'beta license has expired' which is understandable as web site say to 30 of July and today is 31st. Can we get the update and extension

Gyn Williams
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jul 31, 2020 6:39:37 am EDT
Hi Glyn,

Yes, we have extended the trial and updated the beta files. Feel free to download them here:

Mac https://www.remoteutilities.com/download/mac.php
Linux https://www.remoteutilities.com/download/linux.php

Thanks.
Vasilis Lourdas, User (Posts: 19)
Aug 17, 2020 12:50:11 pm EDT
So far, I've been using version 6.10.10 for Windows through Wine in my Gentoo Linux box. It works fine, but it'd be nice to have a fully working Linux native client. What I mean by that:

Today I downloaded the latest Linux beta client (1.0.4.q) and it works faster than the Windows version with Wine. But my main problem (except the fact that it lacks file manager and all the other features that the Windows client has) is the keyboard. I have to write in Greek in my remote computer and I have to use ; followed by the vowel to ins ert accents, like ά or έ or ϊ. The problem is that I cannot. Whatever keyboard input model I select, it doesn't work. And there are times that when I press the keys with the , or . or [ or ] characters, the displayed characters are the ones that appear when holding down the Shift key. So, I get < > { and } while I don't press Shift.

Using the Windows client with Wine, I can insert accents, but only when I have the keyboard in Linux switched to English and the keyboard on the remote computer switched to Greek. If the keyboards are switched to the same language, I cannot insert the accent. Just in case this somehow helps.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Aug 17, 2020 2:56:38 pm EDT
Hello Vasilis,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, we couldn't reproduce the issue. However, I'll forward this issue to our developers for a review, to see if anything could be done to fix this in our future updates for Mac/Linux Viewer. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please let us know if you have more questions.
Aug 17, 2020 5:21:34 pm EDT
Hello Vasilis,

Thank you for your patience.

I've checked on the issue with our developers. Could you please provide us the following information, so we could investigate further into the issue:
1. What keyboard layout and input mode are used on your local machine, and what layout and input mode are used on the remote machine? It would be helpful if you could also provide us screenshots, if possible.
2. What exact version of Linux Gentoo do you use?
3. Is there any other software where you've noticed similar behavior?

You can publish your reply here or send it to us to support@remoteutilities.com in case if you don't want to publish your screenshots on the forum and this would be more convenient.

Looking forward to your reply.
Vasilis Lourdas, User (Posts: 19)
Aug 18, 2020 12:35:03 am EDT
Polina, I have sent you an e-mail to support@remoteutilities.com with the information that you asked for.
Aug 18, 2020 8:32:57 am EDT
Hello Vasilis,

Thank you. We have received your email, I will now forward it to our developers, so they can look further into the issue.

I'll keep you updated on this.
Nijel Terry, User (Posts: 55)
Aug 31, 2020 12:35:07 pm EDT
I have been testing the Linux Viewer on OpenSUSE 15.2 for the past 3 days and I have been unable to enter passwords containing special characters on the host computer.  I'm not sure which characters aren't working, I'll do some more testing later on to see which keys aren't working.  I'm using US-English keyboard layout on all PC's.

Other than that I occasionally have a problem with connecting to my host computer.  The host window loads briefly and then the Viewer and Host windows crash. After the first crash, subsequently launching the viewer and connecting to a host will crash the viewer again.  Restarting the computer seems to resolve this but it has happened a few times at least.

It's nice to have a viewer in Linux. Can't wait for the Linux host!
Aug 31, 2020 2:21:21 pm EDT
Hello Nijel,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please clarify what version of Remote Utilities Host is used on the remote machine? In case if you use version 6.10.10.0, please try updating your remote Host to the latest 6.12 Beta 2 version - there was a similar issue in the previous versions of Remote Utilities with some keys not working on a remote computer in some circumstances, which was fixed in the most recent Beta version releases.
The 6.12 Beta 2 version is available for the download on this page.

The host window loads briefly and then the Viewer and Host windows crash. After the first crash, subsequently launching the viewer and connecting to a host will crash the viewer again. Restarting the computer seems to resolve this but it has happened a few times at least.

Could you please let me know if you receive any error messages when the Viewer crashes? Does the issue occur when connecting to any of the Hosts in your address book?

We will additionally test both of these issues to see if we can reproduce them, so we can implement fixes in our future updates.

I'll keep you updated on the issues.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)