New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

USB Support over Remote Desktop.

Links used in this discussion
Kolton Dockins, User (Posts: 2)
Jan 11, 2022 10:08:06 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
I am looking for a remote support software that supports USB. As an admin, I only can use a PIV card for administrative actions, which the UAC prompts for. I need the remote PC to detect the PIV card that is connected on the viewer PC. Is this possible with Remote Utilities?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jan 11, 2022 4:36:43 pm EST
Hello Kolton,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please clarify if you mean that you need to run Remote Utilities from a portable USB drive? If this is the case, you can use Portable Viewer and Agent modules as they do not require installation and can be stored on portable drives.

As an admin, I only can use a PIV card for administrative actions, which the UAC prompts for. I need the remote PC to detect the PIV card that is connected on the viewer PC.

Do you mean that you need the remote Host to detect the PIV card on the Viewer machine as an authentication method, i.e. to only allow connection for a Viewer with the card present and decline the connection for any Viewer machine without the card?

Looking forward to your reply.
Kolton Dockins, User (Posts: 2)
Jan 11, 2022 5:43:11 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
To clarify, I do not need it as an authentication method for the remote session, but as authentication to perform administrative actions on the remote host. For example, I need to restart a service. I need to open services as an administrator. When I do that, the User Access Control prompts me for authentication. Most organizations use a username and password for authentication. Ours does not. It uses a PIV card, which when detected, User Access Control prompts me for a pin. I need the remote host to detect the PIV card that is plugged in via USB in the viewer workstation. I want to say the proper term for that is USB redirection, but I am not sure.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jan 12, 2022 4:04:57 pm EST
Hello Kolton,

Thank you for the detailed clarification.

I will forward this question to our developers and will ask for their input on this, so that I can provide you with accurate information.

I'll get back to you with an update on this shortly.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)