Community

RUT - Viewer: Licence keys and connection settings encrypted and protected with a password

Links used in this discussion
Genie au Travail, User (Posts: 35)
Apr 13, 2011 3:06:49 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hello everybody,

I would like to have the option to encrypt and protect with a password the licence keys and connection settings stored by RUT - Viewer.

It would be especially useful with the portable version.
A USB stick is easily lost or stolen...  

Again, it would be only an option.

Kind regards  
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Apr 13, 2011 10:49:17 pm EDT
Hi Genie,

I would like to have the option to encrypt and protect with a password the licence keys and connection settings stored by RUT - Viewer.

I think this is something better done by the applications specifically made for the purpose of encrypting discs (and removable discs for that matter). Here is a good article on the subject.

In other words, it's much better and safer to encrypt the entire USB-Drive than building encryption capabilities into RUT-Viewer.

A USB stick is easily lost or stolen...

Absolutely. I always encrypt (and backup) all my drives including removable ones. Better safe than sorry.

A word of warning to you and everyone using the portable RUT-Viewer version:
RUT-Viewer allows to save passwords and copy licenses out of the License Storage. We bear no responsibility for any damage suffered by a user through the use of a non-encrypted drive. We strongly recommend encrypting your removable drives and even your laptop drives as this is a common practice nowadays.

Thank you for highlighting this issue. It will be useful for others to know. We'll also add information about the necessity of having your drives encrypted on the RUT-Viewer Portable download page.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Dec 14, 2011 1:08:25 am EST
Update on this issue: The License Key Storage and the program's Enter license key dialog are now much safer. It's impossible to copy/steal the license key directly neither from the License Key Storage, nor from the Enter license key dialog.

For more information on the subject please take a look at Registering Remote Utilities
Genie au Travail, User (Posts: 35)
Dec 23, 2011 4:21:40 am EST
Wonderful!  8)

It's many more easy now to use the portable version.
I had to keep the portable version in a crypted container on my USB stick (as FileZilla).
For this purpose I used Steganos Safe. But this software needs for working to install a driver on the computer (the container is mounted as a virtual drive).

Thanks for the update!  8)
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Dec 23, 2011 12:28:23 pm EST
Hi Genie,

Actually, I hope by the mid-2012 you won't need the portable version anymore, as we plan something more interesting. But don't tell that to my superiors, as they will whip me many times  
nikkil, User (Posts: 46)
Mar 01, 2012 12:08:18 pm EST
+1 right here.
Edited:nikkil - Oct 28, 2012 10:21:46 am EDT

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)