New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

FR: Notifications

Asher Cerka, User (Posts: 5)
Jul 27, 2015 4:06:13 pm EDT
It would be nice to have both A: Server-side alerts via email when a host connects for those of us who host our own RU servers, and B: the ability to have the viewer monitor for the availability of a client and pop up an alert when a host is available. Sometimes I'm trying to do deployments to several PCs at a time or need to monitor for availability for other reasons and being able to know when PCs I'm looking for are available would be a tremendous asset.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jul 27, 2015 5:13:21 pm EDT
Hello Asher,

Thank you for your message.

Both these options can only be possible with RU Server rather than with our default (corporate) server, for obvious reasons. We'll take a look at your suggestions and see if we can implement them in subsequent releases.
Jul 28, 2015 9:02:10 am EDT
I figured at least the server emails on connection would require the setup of an RU server (which we already have), and while it's theoretically possible for the viewer to monitor for when a client becomes available on the default server I understand why you may be reluctant to implement such a feature as it would increase the amount of traffic that the default server would have to handle.
Jul 29, 2015 10:06:43 am EDT
Well, that's not exactly the reason, although we you are probably right - a more general assumption is that we try to keep our default hosted service as simple as possible. You know, the more moving parts a system has, the more it is prone to errors and malfunction.

Whereas with RU Server we can experiment and add more advanced features. By the way, using e-mail for what you described is probably overkill. If both Host and View keep connection with the RU Server alive a notification (or a desktop alert) could appear right in the Viewer. So we'll give it a thought and adjust our plans regarding the RU Server roadmap accordingly.
Jul 30, 2015 8:18:13 am EDT
While the in-viewer notifications would be nice, some ability to send alerts outside of the viewer is incredibly useful. In my organization, I am our IT department and handle multiple sites. While I am behind my desk probably 70% of the time, I'm staring at RU only a fraction of that time and may not even have my computer up if I'm at another site say diagnosing a network issue. Missing windows when a computer gets turned on because I'm out at another site has been a substantial issue.
Jul 30, 2015 12:54:14 pm EDT
Hi Asher,

Sure. We'll keep that in mind. I added this as a suggestion to our feature tracking system.

Thank you.
iampedro, User (Posts: 38)
Aug 03, 2015 9:58:52 am EDT
I would like a popup if a computer come back online that pup's up in the task bar if it is available yes.  I like that suggestion..
Aug 03, 2015 1:49:17 pm EDT

iampedro wrote:
I would like a popup if a computer come back online that pup's up in the task bar if it is available yes.  I like that suggestion..

Noted, thanks!

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)