Community

Improved Chat Functionality

David, User (Posts: 25)
Feb 25, 2014 11:22:21 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
It would be nice if the chat session (including history) didn't just disappear when the chat session is either closed by the remote user, or when there is a network failure that temporarily disconnects the Host fr om the Viewer. In instances such as these, I'd like to be able to retain the chat history on screen and be able to pick up wh ere I left off once the network communication resumes.

Additionally, as an admin I'm always using the keyboard. Having to stop and use the mouse to click the "Send" button is cumbersome. If the chat window uses Windows Forms, setting the "Send" button as the default element on the form would remedy this. To overcome the fact that you would not be able to enter multi-line chats, just have something like Shift+Enter create a new line in the active chat, while keeping Enter to send the chat message.

Just a few ideas....
iampedro, User (Posts: 38)
Feb 25, 2014 3:12:10 pm EST
+1
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Feb 25, 2014 4:02:57 pm EST
Hello David,

It would be nice if the chat session (including history) didn't just disappear when the chat session is either closed by the remote user, or when there is a network failure that temporarily disconnects the Host fr om the Viewer. In instances such as these, I'd like to be able to retain the chat history on screen and be able to pick up wh ere I left off once the network communication resumes.

Chat history is already on our roadmap.

Additionally, as an admin I'm always using the keyboard. Having to stop and use the mouse to click the "Send" button is cumbersome. If the chat window uses Windows Forms, setting the "Send" button as the default element on the form would remedy this. To overcome the fact that you would not be able to enter multi-line chats, just have something like Shift+Enter create a new line in the active chat, while keeping Enter to send the chat message.

We'll add this too.
BartB, User (Posts: 41)
Aug 05, 2016 7:06:10 pm EDT
I know this is an old post, but it's the only one I found relating to the Enter key Send issue in Chat. Have those changes been applied already? I'm experiencing a situation where, when in Chat in the Viewer app, I can send my text using Enter, but the other person on the other end, with Host running on their machine had to click the Send button to send text in Chat. Both are running the current software version, 6.3.0.6. If this has been already addressed, please point me to the right forum post, otherwise, I would like to file this asa bug.
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Aug 08, 2016 10:35:53 am EDT
Hello Bart,

Thank you for your post.

This has been fixed in the upcoming 6.5 version whose beta version will see the light this week. On both ends (i.e. Viewer and Host) you will be able to send messages by hitting Enter.
BartB, User (Posts: 41)
Aug 08, 2016 10:49:07 am EDT
Has version 6.4 been skipped? Also, will the beta update be available via the in-app update check, or does it have to be downloaded manually?

-Bart
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Aug 08, 2016 10:53:55 am EDT
Yes, after 6.3.0.6 the next version is 6.5.

Also, will the beta update be available via the in-app update check, or does it have to be downloaded manually?

Usually, we do not enable automatic notification about beta updates, only stable ones. But the beta version will be publicly available on the site so anyone can download and use it. We will be looking forward to receiving feedback from beta testers.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)