Community

FR: Local then Internet-ID, copy & move computers, templates, remote settings multiple computers

Links used in this discussion
Trevor Speering, User (Posts: 7)
Nov 15, 2015 12:13:17 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
Viewer suggestions:

1. Is it possible for the viewer to first try the direct connection settings, if unavailable try the Internet-ID? (for laptops etc, saving of bandwidth, the remote-server may be in a DMZ or on a slower network and wish to connect directly if they are onsite).

2. I realise you can drag computer objects into different address books or folders. How about a copy or duplicate?

3. There is the default connection. Can there be default connectionS or templates?. Different settings for different companies?

4. Is it possible to make an option to maximise the screen over 2 monitors (locally)? Particularly if they have 2 monitors remotely. I typically have stretch and have to drag the borders around myself. Even better (possibly) would be to have one of their monitors (stretch) on one monitor and the other (stretch) on the other local monitor.

(FR/BUG) 4. Selecting multiple computers and clicking Remote Settings attempts to open up multiple windows for all the computers (which fails for settings following the first window). Is it possible to send out settings to multiple computers with this method rather than pushing out new msi (Remote Install)?

Cheers! Purchased recently seems very promising.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Nov 16, 2015 11:18:33 am EST
Hello Trevor,

1. This is how it works now. If RU detects direct connectivity, it uses. However, please note that for direct connection an incoming (listening) port of the Host must be open/allowed in firewall settings. By default it's 5650 but this value can be changed to something else. When you install the Host on a PC with Windows firewall only, the program automatically adds an exception rule to the firewall settings. However, it cannot add an exception rule to third-party firewalls, this is something a user must do themselves.

2. Underway.

3. Not yet, but that's a good idea. I will forward it to our developers.

4. You can assign different remote monitors of the remote PC to different Full Control mode windows on the local PC. This forum topic explains how.

(FR/BUG) 4. Selecting multiple computers and clicking Remote Settings attempts to open up multiple windows for all the computers (which fails for settings following the first window). Is it possible to send out settings to multiple computers with this method rather than pushing out new msi (Remote Install)?

Not yet. We are currently working on centralized Host permission management system, which if all goes well is going to be available in the next release. However, this will require using RU Server as a centralpiece.
Nov 16, 2015 7:09:25 pm EST
1. That's great! I never though to check with netstat. The settings seems a bit ambiguous as it seems as if you are choosing one or the other!

4. (Stretch over 2 local screens). I found this post which suggests AutoIT and a script with a shortcut with a hotkey (ctrl-alt-up). Works a treat! I set mine to 3360,1000 as I have two 1680x1050 monitors (and I still want to see the taskbar).

https://superuser.com/questions/186633/how-can-you-maximize-a-window-on-to-dual-monitors-in-windows-7
Nov 16, 2015 7:21:51 pm EST
Hi Trevor,

1. Well, although you have to choose either ID or direct within the same connection properties, you can still create a duplicate connection for that same remote PC. You can then select ID for one connection, and direct - for the other. But this doesn't make much sense because as I said the program can automatically detect direct connectivity even if you use ID.

2.  You mean stretching the Full Control mode window? We'll see if we can implement this in-program.
Nov 16, 2015 9:42:43 pm EST
2. Yes, just makes stretch mode a little less squashy than with 2 screens on the 1 monitor.

While I've got your attention ..

FR: How about a "Send WOL through the following host" option/feature which could be added to the Properties->Network tab? The ability to send WOL packets from the host of a computer or server you know is always on, on a remote network or subnet? Obviously if it's not there already, you would need to add the WOL code to the host agent.

It could even possibly be the same host as the "Connect through the host".

Cheers!
Edited:Trevor Speering - Nov 16, 2015 9:43:02 pm EST
Nov 17, 2015 10:00:06 am EST
Hello Trevor,

2. Yes, just makes stretch mode a little less squashy than with 2 screens on the 1 monitor.

I had a talk with our developers and we decided to add this feature to our wishlist.

FR: How about a "Send WOL through the following host" option/feature which could be added to the Properties->Network tab? The ability to send WOL packets from the host of a computer or server you know is always on, on a remote network or subnet? Obviously if it's not there already, you would need to add the WOL code to the host agent.

Yes, this is something we already have on our roadmap and will implement in the future.

Thank you!
Bruce Marvelly, User (Posts: 2)
Mar 09, 2017 5:02:02 pm EST
Hello,

Is there any news on the WOL feature working over the internet and without a direct connection? I am trying to move away from LMI but really need this feature.

Thanks,

Bruce
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Mar 11, 2017 2:35:48 am EST
Hello Bruce,

We have included this feature to our wish list but I can't give any specific ETA or a promise when exactly this is going to be implemented. Sorry for that.

We'll do our best to implement that as soon as we can though.
Bruce Marvelly, User (Posts: 2)
Mar 14, 2017 12:27:30 am EDT
Thanks for your reply but I must have this feature to leave LMI. Hopefully your developers will jump onto it as it was requested at least 18 months ago. Unfortunately it will stop me from buying your product this time and I'm sure it may have stopped others.

Thanks,

Bruce
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Mar 14, 2017 2:15:02 am EDT
Hello Bruce,

Sure, no problem :) We will do our best to add many useful features as possible. Thank you!

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)