Community

FR: Linux, Mac - Host

Links used in this discussion
Gabor Olah, User (Posts: 14)
Apr 10, 2017 6:12:02 am EDT
Version 6.6 is out so far but there is no words about Mac (and Linux) version. ???
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Apr 10, 2017 9:25:31 am EDT
Hello Gabor,

We will announce Mac version when it is ready. Perhaps, there'll be an open beta first.
Mike De Arman, User (Posts: 6)
Apr 10, 2017 9:46:33 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
LOL, 2 years on, and still no Mac Client or even a 'whiff' of one. "Perhaps there will be an open beta..." Space-X will land men on Mars before you see a Mac Client from this company. Conrad, you should go work for the White House as the press secretary.
Apr 10, 2017 10:05:47 am EDT
Hello Mike,

I'm sorry. That indeed takes more time than we initially expected. Mostly because we put a lot of effort into the new self-hosted server.  

Still, because we fulfill most of our promises (alas, we can't fulfill them all due to sheer time/resources restrictions) and fix 100% of bugs we find I cannot qualify for the press-secretary :)
Marc Mercer, User (Posts: 2)
Apr 16, 2017 1:29:10 am EDT
Already responded in the other thread, but so far the company has succeeded in doing *exactly* the opposite of what you indicate is the intention here on the forums, Conrad.  The original post that brings up the mac viewer is *3* years old at this point, and even back then (in 2014), a timeline of 'within a year' was suggested.  Then it became "after 6.5"  "after 6.6".

As I said in the other post, at this point, transparency will be absolutely critical to determining if RU is the type of company that I would even consider suggesting to the team at work to fill the needs we have.  Unfortunately, I do not have much confidence that RU has any idea *how* to be transparent.  Even without telling us dates or etas, you could just as easily show the public what your priorities are and gather feedback *fr om the public* to see just how serious a feature needed really is.  Given that this one goes back 3 years, would be quite entertaining if there were a way of finding out how many customers you have actually lost *due to support* for OSX.

Right now, as a company you seem to be stuck in the same place that MSFT was under ballmer, wh ere you don't want to acknowledge the existence of other OSes.  You already support Android and IOS for viewer, but not OSX proper?  That's backwards.  Especially since the OSes are vastly different, so someone had to make a 'roadmap' call on which was more important, iphone/ipad viewer support or macbook air/pro viewer support.  I don't know about you, but only a salesperson could convince someone that using their phone would be more effective than using their Air or Pro to interact with a remote machine.  Mobile works, but should not be viewed as an all in replacement for the tools that the IT and 'Operator' staff would likely be using.
Apr 16, 2017 6:00:58 am EDT
Hello Marc,

If we have a beta we will make it public and let our users know about it. But we cannot share each and every step of the development process. Each company decides how much transparency it should provide and we don't believe that being that transparent necessarily speeds up the development process. We would rather spend this time and effort on the development itself.

Sorry, we didn't count how many customers we lost. That would be a useless exercise, given how much work to do we have ahead. We strive to fulfill as many promises as we can but it's not always possible to fulfill them all within a reasonable time frame.
Allan Hall, User (Posts: 43)
Feb 21, 2018 1:20:11 pm EST
Just wondering if there has been any progress on a Mac agent (and/or host). This would REALLY make my life easier. I would also like a Linux host but that is less needed for work and more for fun.

Allan
Feb 22, 2018 8:05:05 am EST
Hello Allan,

We are working on Mac support but no ETA yet. Sorry for that.
Nick Leffler, User (Posts: 13)
May 22, 2018 8:13:29 am EDT
I also would love a Linux client. I only use CLI so all I would really want is a remote CLI. I don't really care about the GUI. I think it'd be a nice starting point for CLI only. I would love to be a beta tester.
May 22, 2018 11:30:27 am EDT
Thank you, Nick. There is a good chance that we will introduce Linux client together with client for Mac.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)