Community

Password protect "Stop Host" client uninstall

Links used in this discussion
Lance Albert, User (Posts: 1)
Sep 22, 2017 10:32:44 am EDT
I have over 50 clients i work with and it gets frustrating when an end user stops the host or even uninstalls the client. I have work other programs that protect this from happening with an administrator  password.
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2991)
Sep 22, 2017 10:37:17 am EDT
Hello Lance,

Thank you for your post.

I have over 50 clients i work with and it gets frustrating when an end user stops the host or even uninstalls the client.

Unfortunately, if a user is administrator on their PC, we cannot do anything about this. By definition the Windows administrator account has full rights in the system. We cannot block or otherwise prevent the administrator from uninstalling or modifying Remote Utilities Host.

Don't hesitate to ask me if you have other questions.
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2991)
Sep 22, 2017 10:46:46 am EDT
There is a partial solution to the problem. First, you can protect Host settings with a password. Second, you can hide Host menu in Host options.

However, the user who is administrator will still be able to uninstall the program, delete/reset the Host registry entry or stop running Host processes.
skyline, User (Posts: 2)
Jun 14, 2019 11:00:12 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I have the same problem with a user stopping the host and ran across this post looking for a solution.

While looking into some of the many free File & Folder Hide/Lock programs, it dawned on me that just removing "stop"  in the target field of the shortcut to the Stop Host icon found in Start/All Programs/Remote Utilities - Host folder might work and trivial to add again if needed by the Admin.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\rutserv.exe" /stop

Password protect "Stop Host"  client uninstall - 14 Jun 2019 10:56:28
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2991)
Jun 14, 2019 3:17:04 pm EDT
Hello,

Thank you for your message.
The best (and proper) solution is to restrict user administrator rights to standard user. If the user isn't supposed to run or stop any programs or processes on the computer they shouldn't be given administrator privileges in the first place.
skyline, User (Posts: 2)
Jun 14, 2019 4:13:11 pm EDT
I understand, but due to a legacy accounting program with dozens of separate very active property accounts all workstations need admin rights for now.

In the meantime, the temporary workaround seems to be preventing the junior tech ranger from breaking things until the proper solution can be applied.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2832)
Jun 17, 2019 1:43:14 pm EDT
Hello,

Unfortunately, all solutions, in this case, are partial. We follow Windows security rules, so there is no possibility for RU to prohibit the administrator to perform any actions to any software.

Hope that helps.
Jakub Grisa, User (Posts: 1)
Feb 18, 2020 9:01:50 am EST
Uninstallation could be also password protected using setting protection password. Example being ESET products having this option since v4. Maybe even longer. If they are not breaking "Windows security rules" i'd see it as a solution here.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2832)
Feb 18, 2020 6:09:36 pm EST
Hello Jakub,

Right now the Settings protection feature does not prevent a user with the administrator rights from uninstalling the Host. However, I will forward this information to our development department and will ask for their input on this. Thank you for your input! I'll keep you updated.

Please let us know if you have other questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)