New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

UDP connection option (Feature Request)

Links used in this discussion
Bruce Thain, User (Posts: 1)
Mar 20, 2020 7:41:38 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Is there an option to connect using UDP as well as TCP? or UDP & TCP.

For image rich content or video (such as remote viewing and administration of CCTV system), or indeed any higher bandwidth animated desktop task, UDP (with less network overhead) far exceeds the throughput of a TCP connection.

Remote Utilities is excellent, adding an option to switch to UDP, like some other 'competitor' applications out there, would make this the best, and only choice.. ever!

Sadly for now, I've had to switch back to using another (less feature rich) but faster UDP app until you can get this option added.

Side by side the noticeable lag with TCP is a definite turn off.  

Is the error-checking overhead of TCP really necessary for desktop view? Shoving the desktop images through UDP would make a big difference in overall speed.

Anything in the pipeline soon?

P.S. I hope this is in the correct place for a feature request, it would be great if others might add this to the wish list.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Mar 24, 2020 7:09:34 am EDT
Hello Bruce,

Thank you for your suggestion. We will add it to our wishlist.
cosmos, User (Posts: 76)
Sep 22, 2020 3:02:41 am EDT
I would like to second that.  [censored] is much faster with its routed connection compared to RU with a direct connection sadly...

For the time being I've alleviated this performance disadvantage by connecting to RU hosts with RDP-over-RU (which is faster than  [censored] ). This does mean that RU hosts should not be WIn 10 Home systems and additionally a user and password should be present on the target machine.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Sep 22, 2020 1:43:44 pm EDT
Hello,

Sorry for the late reply.

I've checked with our development department on this - while we have this feature in our roadmap, it's not in our immediate plans. In addition, please note that, unfortunately, using UDP is not possible with Internet-ID connection, as for the cases when the direct route is available between Host and Viewer, then TCP should work fast enough. In case if you experience slow remote connection speed/performance, perhaps, this troubleshooting KB article might provide some helpful solution. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)