Community

Blank/Locked Screen

David, User (Posts: 25)
Feb 15, 2014 10:09:06 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
First I would like to quickly introduce myself a new user of Remote Utilities! I purchased a single operator license 2 days ago and already have over 60 hosts deployed! So far, this is the *best* product and does precisely what I need it to. With that said, there are a few features I would love to see implemented. I'll post them to this board as separate requests - so here's the first:

It would be great if the blank screen or lock screen displayed on the console monitor had the option of no scroll bars and stretched edge to edge. In the current implementation there is a small (1 or 2 pixel) border around the lock screen as well as a scroll bar on the right side even when they aren't needed.

I'd like this just to give it a more professional look. I'm an IT consultant and it would be great if I could use HTML (which I know I can) to center my logo on the screen without any borders or unnecessary scroll bars.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Feb 17, 2014 2:26:56 am EST

First I would like to quickly introduce myself a new user of Remote Utilities! I purchased a single operator license 2 days ago and already have over 60 hosts deployed! So far, this is the *best* product and does precisely what I need it to.

Nice to meet you And thanks for the kind words!

It would be great if the blank screen or lock screen displayed on the console monitor had the option of no scroll bars and stretched edge to edge. In the current implementation there is a small (1 or 2 pixel) border around the lock screen as well as a scroll bar on the right side even when they aren't needed.

Is the resolution of the remote pc screen higher or lower than that of the local pc screen?  
Feb 17, 2014 9:43:41 am EST
The resolution of the remote computer is lower than the local computer, and the remote screen is set to Stretch.
Feb 17, 2014 10:52:42 am EST

David wrote:
The resolution of the remote computer is lower than the local computer, and the remote screen is set to Stretch.

Hello David,

Just tried to reproduce this issue by connecting from a PC with a high-resolution monitor to two PCs with low-resolution monitors (one Windows 7 and one Windows 8.1) and trying different screen view modes (normal, stretch etc.). The remote screen is always pure white without scroll bars.

I was testing with default "blank remote screen" settings though, i.e. I didn't use the editor to add html, text etc.  
Feb 20, 2014 11:41:52 am EST
Conrad,

Sorry it took me a while to respond. You are correct - the default white screen works. However, the HTML or Text Editor is what I'd like to use. When using either one of those, the thin white border and scroll bars are shown at the console of the remote host.

I'd like to add to this issue as well. When using the blank/lock screen, is there a way to turn off the local console from rendering the mouse pointer? It looks odd to see the mouse move around the screen on top of the chosen blank/lock screen. Additionally, when certain UI elements are chosen in the remote session (Windows Start menu, any combo box or list, and sometimes the minimize and maximize function), they will quickly flash on top of the blank/lock screen. This is also strange and will prevent me from using this feature only because I feel like it would generate additional calls from neighboring users that see this behavior and don't see someone sitting at the computer.
Feb 20, 2014 12:19:34 pm EST

I'd like to add to this issue as well. When using the blank/lock screen, is there a way to turn off the local console from rendering the mouse pointer? It looks odd to see the mouse move around the screen on top of the chosen blank/lock screen. Additionally, when certain UI elements are chosen in the remote session (Windows Start menu, any combo box or list, and sometimes the minimize and maximize function), they will quickly flash on top of the blank/lock screen. This is also strange and will prevent me from using this feature only because I feel like it would generate additional calls from neighboring users that see this behavior and don't see someone sitting at the computer.

Thank you, David. We've added this to the list of things we should consider when improving the blank screen mode.  

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)