Community

Viewer - Details View Columns

David, User (Posts: 25)
Feb 15, 2014 11:31:35 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
It would be extremely helpful to be able to add custom columns to the details view of the Viewer. Since the Remote Utilities software is focused primarily on Windows, using some native Windows resources would be hugely beneficial here. For instance, I'd like a column that I could name say "Windows Version". I could then define a custom WMI query to run against the remote host to populate the contents of that column. I could customize my WMI query to present the necessary information as I see fit; for exampte, a host running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition with Service Pack 1 could be displayed as WS2k8E-R2-SP1. The point is that the data that populates the column can be customized and the addition of extra columns that display information I need to know can be created as needed.

The Viewer already seems to use WMI in the Inventory Manager, so it looks like that functionality is already implemented, but just needs to be linked.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Feb 17, 2014 2:19:50 am EST
David,

We are planning to add a "Computer information" panel in the Viewer anyway. That panel will display all vital information about the remote computer right away when the computer is selected in the address book, without having to launch the inventory connection mode.

By the way, besides the Windows version/edition what other important information would you like to see on that panel?    
David, User (Posts: 25)
Feb 17, 2014 8:38:44 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
Conrad,

It would be nice to see the uptime of the host. But here's the one I'm really after: I'd like to see the MAC address for the connected interface with the lowest metric value. It's important to note that this may not be the interface that I'm connecting to the host on, and that this value could change.
I realize this is not something everyone would want, which is why I tried to stress the ability to customize the column contents.
The reason for this is simply to use Wake-on-LAN - it's just excessively complicated when you're not onsite...
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Feb 17, 2014 11:00:23 am EST
Hi David,

Thanks! I've added your comment to the "Computer info panel" feature request on our roadmap. If we have any questions or need further clarification, I will get back to you then.    

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)