Community

Rebuilding PC

Paul Raysun, User (Posts: 3)
Jul 14, 2014 5:25:15 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hi, I have been testing your excellent software for a few months now and really love it.
It's an incredibly agile and intelligent set of programs.
I am almost ready to purchase a license and move from the free licence, however I am still testing it
and I now have a question I cant find the answer to anywhere else.

Suppose I plan to wipe the hard drive of the computer which has the viewer on it.
How can I preserve my license and all the details regarding the hosts that I connect to
so that I do not have to re-enter their internet-ID's and the passwords etc after I wipe the drive and
reinstall the operating system and remote utilities?

Is that possible? I would preferably like it so that I can save some file or files and then
simply move them back into their remote utilities folders after the new installation is setup
unless there is some simpler way.

Please let me know if that is possible and how to achieve it.
Edited:Paul Raysun - Jul 14, 2014 5:28:25 pm EDT
Anton Kalugin, User (Posts: 209)
Jul 14, 2014 5:40:57 pm EDT
Hello Paul,

Thank you for your message.

You can import/export your connections with all settings if you go for Tools -> Import/Export connections.
You can also see your license key in Help -> License key storage. You can save it anywhere you want in the text file.
Jul 14, 2014 5:51:37 pm EDT
Thank you for the prompt reply
I must have overlooked the export function and will try that now
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2991)
Jul 14, 2014 5:55:43 pm EDT
Hello Paul,

There are two XML files in the folder "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Remote Utilities Files\":  

config_4.xml - where your Viewer's options/settings are stored

connections_4.xml - your connection list (also called "address book" with all the IDs and passwords, if the latter were saved)

So you can also just copy these two files and paste them in the same folder on the new Viewer PC (or the same PC if you re-installed the operating system).
Jul 14, 2014 5:57:51 pm EDT
Excellent information. Thank you very much, both of you that replied.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)