Community

New Pro Alert

Links used in this discussion
stw, User (Posts: 16)
Nov 09, 2023 5:19:51 am EST
Hello,

we've upgraded from MINI to PRO to get rid of the connection alert message.
However right after the upgrade you changed the policies in order to show a temporary 10 minute alert.

New Pro Alert - 09 Nov 2023 05:19:23

We're really disappointed because of the extra money we spent and in the end not getting what we wanted.
Because of a policy we still are not allowed to fully (and automatically) deploy RUT to all users because of this message.

Btw on the licensing site it's still advertised like it was before.

New Pro Alert - 09 Nov 2023 05:19:23
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Nov 09, 2023 5:56:03 am EST
Thank you for your message.

We appreciate you bringing the issue with the licensing page to our attention. We will certainly correct it and ensure that it reflects the current feature set.

Because of a policy, we are still not allowed to fully (and automatically) deploy RUT to all users because of this message.

Please note that this feature does not prevent the automatic deployment of RUT, nor does it inhibit connectivity, even with the Starter and Mini licenses. What it does is present a warning to the user. For the Pro license, there is a timeout associated with this warning. There are specific conditions under which this alert is shown at all.

Making this decision was challenging, as the increasing sensitivity of antivirus and antimalware tools makes it difficult to release new software versions without encountering numerous false positive 'malware' detections. If there is even the slightest possibility of using legitimate software in stealth mode, it is almost guaranteed to be exploited in that manner.

If you are dissatisfied with this update and would like to request a refund, please feel free to do so. You can write to our sales team at sales@remoteutilities.com, and they will process the refund for you.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Nov 09, 2023 8:46:47 am EST

Please note that this feature does not prevent the automatic deployment of RUT, nor does it inhibit connectivity, even with the Starter and Mini licenses.

I know and can confirm that it doesn't affect the automatic deployment.

Let me rephrase myself:
Our company policy says that unless we get rid of the alert we aren't allowed to automatically deploy Remote Utilities. This is why we bought the PRO license. But right after that you changed it and added the new 10 minute alert.
Because of the new alert we still aren't allowed to deploy it to all users.

PS: You may edit this thread and completely remove the misleading part.
Nov 09, 2023 9:20:46 am EST
Hello,

Our company policy says that unless we get rid of the alert we aren't allowed to automatically deploy Remote Utilities. This is why we bought the PRO license. But right after that you changed it and added the new 10 minute alert.

I understand. But there may be a dilemma. On the one hand companies may use policies that require silent installation. On the other hand these same companies might deploy perimeter and/or endpoint security solutions that block products like Remote Utilities and refuse to remove the detection saying that this is for 'customer's own good' and 'more security'.

Unfortunately, it is next to impossible to satisfy both requirements and a/v software will always block programs that allow silent install and remote connection or at least classify them as 'potentially dangerous'. We know that full well - perhaps more than any other remote access software vendor on the market.
Nov 09, 2023 9:43:12 am EST
Last but not least, what's the difference to SITE then? Why don't you show an alert there?
Nov 09, 2023 1:50:41 pm EST
The Site license is way more expensive than PRO (because it's all-unlimited) and it's unlikely that it will be purchased by a stolen credit card, for example.
Brad M, User (Posts: 21)
Nov 09, 2023 6:28:43 pm EST
I  have run into the same thing.  Is is possible to tie the license to an account that is established and we have verified our identity to hide that message.  You could charge a nominal fee to verify the account, and show the license wasn't charged to c/c fraud.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Nov 09, 2023 7:42:04 pm EST
Hello Brad,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, we don’t have a mechanism for this kind of verification yet. However, I’ll forward your suggestion to our development department to see if we’re able to implement a verification system. I’ll let you know if there are any updates on this.

Thank you.
Nov 10, 2023 3:34:48 am EST

Brad M wrote:

I  have run into the same thing.  Is is possible to tie the license to an account that is established and we have verified our identity to hide that message.  You could charge a nominal fee to verify the account, and show the license wasn't charged to c/c fraud.

Yes please. Like show your ID card or do something with certificates or whatever
Nov 10, 2023 7:16:48 am EST

Brad M wrote:

Hi Brad,

Unfortunately, this approach won't resolve the issue. Please understand that we have no qualms about eliminating these obstacles. There was a time, about 10 years ago, when Remote Utilities even allowed users to hide the tray icon(!). In today's landscape, offering such a feature would instantly make antivirus programs blacklist the product.

It wasn't us who ignited this global wave of paranoia :) However, we find ourselves compelled to implement these kinds of restrictions. If we didn't, our product would become virtually un-downloadable and un-installable due to antivirus interference.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)