Community

Why is Remote Utilities free?

Links used in this discussion
Derek Zehr, User (Posts: 6)
Dec 05, 2017 12:41:21 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
So the Host is free because you can't use it without a viewer. Makes somewhat sense. And the viewer is free up as long as you have no more than 10 computers in the address book (we're a long way from that in our company).

So my question is, why is such good quality software free? We all know that
T N S T A A F L
(there's no such thing as a free lunch)

In what way are we customers paying if it is not in money? Is it open source? (I don't think so?)
Who and how is supporting this company? Is it only large-scale users who pay for more features/computers?
Also, why is the self-hosted server software free? You'd think we'd have to pay for that, at least, because if we are not using your software for the internet-ID connection, you don't have our information on your servers (but we hope we can trust you anyway?)

Looking forward to hearing what you say.
Edited:8 Lettr - Dec 05, 2017 12:42:12 pm EST
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Dec 05, 2017 1:14:03 pm EST
Hello Derek,

Thank you for your message.

In what way are we customers paying if it is not in money?

Free license users are helpful in several ways:

- They help spread the word about Remote Utilities.  
- Many of our free license users end up purchasing a commercial license when they exceed the free license limits.
- Reporting bugs in the software and giving us ideas on improving the program.

Who and how is supporting this company? Is it only large-scale users who pay for more features/computers?

The only source of our financing are our profits. This is boring and not something TechCrunch or Mashable will be willing to write about :)  

Also, why is the self-hosted server software free?

Because the competition is fierce.

You'd think we'd have to pay for that, at least, because if we are not using your software for the internet-ID connection, you don't have our information on your servers (but we hope we can trust you anyway?)

Information that goes through our ID servers is encrypted. We cannot read it anyway. And yet, we also provide the self-hosted server for companies who need even more security and who cannot trust just any third-party developer or cloud hosting provider.

You can also refer to this FAQ page, and specifically the second question on that page. It lists all possible cases when Remote Utilities may contact our servers (e.g. update, Internet-ID connection etc.) and all of them can be either disabled, or replaced with self-hosted alternative such as the self-hosted server.

Let me know if you have other questions.
8 Lettr, User (Posts: 6)
Dec 05, 2017 1:42:22 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial

Because the competition is fierce.

I know of similar self-hosted options, where the software licence is $800.

The only source of our financing are our profits. This is boring and not something TechCrunch or Mashable will be willing to write about :)

I suppose my question was more like: "From who and how come your profits?"

Very interesting FAQ info.
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Dec 05, 2017 1:49:26 pm EST
Hi Derek,

I know of similar self-hosted options, where the software licence is $800.

Yes, each company sets its own prices as it seems. Perhaps, that specific company has large marketing budgets that can bring in a lot of customers who can afford to pay for a self-hosted option.

I suppose my question was more like: "From who and how come your profits?"

Our profits come from our sales. We sell commercial licenses for Remote Utilities, specifically Starter, Mini, Pro and Site. I'm sorry that I wasn't clear about that at first.  

Don't hesitate to ask me if you have other questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)