Community

License for self hosted?

Links used in this discussion
Jesse, User (Posts: 2)
Apr 23, 2019 8:55:34 am EDT
I am using the self hosted RU. My "trial" period has passed and now it will not let me do anything and tells me that I need to get a license even though I have no connections stored in the cloud. All machines have been set up using the installer I made and are stored in an address book on my server. I have also tried with a free license which then just tells me I can only have 10 connections. What should I do?
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Apr 23, 2019 9:08:41 am EDT
Hello Jesse,

Thank you for your message.

Remote Utilities licensing is not affected by whether you use the self-hosted server or not. Using the self-hosted server is a just a free "on top" option.

In order to use Remote Utilities beyond the 30 day trial period you must register it with a license key. This can be a free license key (in which case you are limited by 10 records in your address book) or a commercial key in which case the number of records depends on the tier (Starter/Mini/Pro).

Note that the licensing terms apply to Viewer regardless of where you keep your address book. It can be locally on the Viewer or synced via your self-hosted server.

I have no connections stored in the cloud.

There is no cloud (hosted) connection storage option at all. Our public server only allows/brokers a remote connection, it doesn't store your address book. Although we are considering plans to implement an online account too at some point in the future.

Hope that helps.
Jesse, User (Posts: 2)
Apr 23, 2019 9:11:00 am EDT
I understand now. It was all a little foggy to me. Thank you.
Chuck Harlow, User (Posts: 1)
Jul 23, 2019 4:24:45 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
On a related note, the Viewer only allows you to to add up to the allotted number of endpoints by on your license type, right?  Free = 10, Starter = 20, Mini = 50, Pro = UnL.  If I remove/delete a connection out of the address book, I could just add another one, right?  For example, If I use AD integration and I have 25 Computers on my AD computers list.  LEt's say out of those 25 computers, I really only actively need to connect to 20 of them.  If I buy the Starter License, that will allow me to add up to 20 of the 25 computers listed in the AD list to my Address Book,  right?  

But If for some reason I needed to connect to one of those other 5 computers, I could delete one of the computers out of my address book, sel ect the PC from the active directory list that I need to connect to and be able to connect to it, correct?  Then once I was done with that computer, I could remove it from the address book and add back in the original PC to my list, correct?

Additionally?  Your licensing pricing says that the fee for the Starter/Mini/Pro is a One Time Fee for each Tech.   Except for Major Upgrades to the version.  If within 12 months of purchase I can upgrade to the newer version 6.X to 7.x.  If beyond 12 months I can upgrade to new major version at 50% discount? Therefore, My Starter License could end up being $50/yr to get the major upgrades, right?  

What if I skip a major version?  I buy 6.x now and wait until 8.x is released more than 12 months fr om now, is it still just the 50%?  

How often have you released major upgrades?
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jul 24, 2019 3:37:01 am EDT
Hello Chuck,

Thank you for your questions.

On a related note, the Viewer only allows you to to add up to the allotted number of endpoints by on your license type, right? Free = 10, Starter = 20, Mini = 50, Pro = UnL. If I remove/delete a connection out of the address book, I could just add another one, right? For example, If I use AD integration and I have 25 Computers on my AD computers list. LEt's say out of those 25 computers, I really only actively need to connect to 20 of them. If I buy the Starter License, that will allow me to add up to 20 of the 25 computers listed in the AD list to my Address Book, right?

Yes.

But If for some reason I needed to connect to one of those other 5 computers, I could delete one of the computers out of my address book, sel ect the PC from the active directory list that I need to connect to and be able to connect to it, correct? Then once I was done with that computer, I could remove it from the address book and add back in the original PC to my list, correct?

Yes. Please, note that if you enable displaying the AD tree in your Viewer the computers in the tree also count against your license. So you are advised to add the computers you need from your AD to your address book and disable showing the AD tree in Viewer (this is done in Options).

Additionally? Your licensing pricing says that the fee for the Starter/Mini/Pro is a One Time Fee for each Tech. Except for Major Upgrades to the version. If within 12 months of purchase I can upgrade to the newer version 6.X to 7.x.

Yes, you have a 1-year of free major upgrades since your purchase date. Here is our Upgrade Policy in detail https://www.remoteutilities.com/buy/upgrade/policy.php

If beyond 12 months I can upgrade to new major version at 50% discount? Therefore, My Starter License could end up being $50/yr to get the major upgrades, right?

We do not necessarily release major upgrades each year. Currently, it's a far a less frequent schedule. Unlike many of our competitors we call a minor version what they would easily call a major release (and squeeze more money from their customers).

What if I skip a major version? I buy 6.x now and wait until 8.x is released more than 12 months fr om now, is it still just the 50%?

Yes, correct.

How often have you released major upgrades?

Once in a couple of years. Our major upgrades are more like milestones whereas the bulk of new features and fixes are released with minor updates.

Let me know if you have other questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)