Community

not accepting license

Links used in this discussion
David Goldstein, User (Posts: 3)
Sep 20, 2019 11:16:31 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I just downloaded and started using the unregistered 30 day trial version 6.10.10.0 of remote utilities.  When I request a free license, I paste the license key into appropriate area, however when I hit add, the key simply disappears and is not added?  What am I doing wrong?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Sep 20, 2019 4:01:48 pm EDT
Hello David,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please clarify if you're getting any error messages when pasting the license key?  For example, Invalid registration key?
Please try referring to this KB troubleshooting guide: https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/kb/invalid-registration-key-when-registering-remote-utilities/

Also, please note, that if you copy the license key from some mail client, like Outlook, the formatting of the key might be somehow corrupted. In this case, please try copying the key from the downloaded txt file that you received to your mailbox.

Please let me know if the issue persists.
Sep 20, 2019 4:52:46 pm EDT
I am not getting any error message.  I am copying the key from the  notepad file attached to the email sent to my online outlook email server from remote utilities. The email ends up in my junk folder, so I have to move it to my inbox in order for me to access the notepad attachment.  I the paste the key into the appropriate box, can see the key numbers and letters after I have pasted them in, click add, and the key simply disappears and is not seen in the area that notes the registration of available keys.  The key is gone as if nothing has been registered.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the viewer without success.
Edited:David Goldstein - Sep 20, 2019 5:07:43 pm EDT
Sep 20, 2019 6:21:19 pm EDT
Hello David,

Thank you for the clarification.

The issue also might be caused by the Viewer configuration file, that was somehow corrupted by some antivirus or firewall software.

Could you please try the following:
1. Fully exit the Viewer File -> Exit.
2. Locate the file config_4.xml in the C:\Users\[Your_username]\AppData\Roaming\Remote Utilities Files\ folder.
Please note that the AppData folder might be hidden by default in which case you need to enable Hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer settings.
3. Remove the config_4.xml file from that folder.
This will reset the Viewer settings. Your address books won't be affected by this action.
4. Run the Viewer and try registering it with your license key again.

Please let us know if the issue persists.
Sep 20, 2019 6:39:32 pm EDT
Yes.  It worked.  Thanks so much for your time and expertise.
Sep 20, 2019 6:45:33 pm EDT
Hello David,

I'm glad to hear we were able to help!

Please do not hesitate to post another message if you have more questions.
Rod Corkum, User (Posts: 4)
Jul 20, 2020 8:00:20 pm EDT
Thanks. Was having the exact same issue and this fixed it.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)