Community

Connecting to not licensed Host with Internet-ID

Links used in this discussion
Dimitar Angelov, User (Posts: 2)
Jan 29, 2014 3:37:11 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
 Hi,

First of all, I'm very pleased for such good product!
I'm migrating from other well known product which till now was free for personal use.
I have use product to support computers of my friends and free license for 10 PC is enough for me.
I'm testing Remote Utilities but I found some feature which I'm not understand clear.
Is it true that connection to the host may be done only from viewer with license which match to host license?
Because I have tested different scenarios and I can connect without license matching.
Here is one my scenario:
1. I have installed viewer on my PC and get free license.
2. Then I have installed host on another PC in my network and get Internet-ID, set access password and shared secret.
3. Connect from viewer to host PC using Internet-ID and host password (without giving shared secret).
4. Register Host with my license in viewer.(Also have tried to register host with Meta-License at the host locally)
5. Delete license from Viewer.
6. Restart Viewer and got to full control to my host.
7. Asking me only for password (without giving shared secret again) and I get control to host.
I have also tried to uninstall viewer and using portable version, but result is the same.

What is wrong in my scenario?
Is this correct?

Thank you In advance!

Regards,

Dimitar Angelov
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jan 29, 2014 1:29:18 pm EST
Hello Dimitar,

Thank you for the kind words!

Is it true that connection to the host may be done only from viewer with license which match to host license?

No. You can connect from any Viewer.

What is wrong in my scenario?
Is this correct?

Your scenario is ok. We do not force-check Host license on the Viewer side. But you won't be able to work with more than 10 remote hosts in your Viewer, if they are registered with a free license.  
Dimitar Angelov, User (Posts: 2)
Jan 30, 2014 12:42:16 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
Thank you for the fast response!
Excuse me that my next question is not about licensing(this group), but is in context in my test case.
I have generated "shared secret" on my host, but I can connect to it only with Internet-ID and password.
Is it "shared secret" feature of paid license only?
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jan 30, 2014 4:56:27 pm EST

Dimitar Angelov wrote:
Thank you for the fast response!
Excuse me that my next question is not about licensing(this group), but is in context in my test case.
I have generated "shared secret" on my host, but I can connect to it only with Internet-ID and password.
Is it "shared secret" feature of paid license only?

Shared secret has nothing to do with the ability to connect by an IP address or Internet ID. If you cannot establish direct IP address connection, please check out this KB article https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/kb/cannot-connect-using-direct-connection/

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)