New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Norton always blocks

Links used in this discussion
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Aug 21, 2018 4:24:16 am EDT
Hello Max,

They cannot use the Viewer to connect outside their home to their office. I'd expect them to block the host, but the viewer?! Jeepers.

The Viewer installer contains some modules of the Host (namely, rutserv.exe) for the MSI Configuration to work, specifically the "legacy" mode of the configuration (files are not needed for the "online" configuration option). That's why some antivirus software may falsely mark Viewer as dangerous. However, by extension they also mark rutview.exe which doesn't make any sense.

However, I'm trying to remotely help someone over the phone, she says she disabled both and still same result, "double clicking or selecting Full Control doesn't connect to server or give any errors or popups".

The feedback is on the connection icon/icons in the address book. If connection isn't possible, the icons will be in offline state.

Could there be a way to detect when the Viewer is being blocked from making any outbound connections?

Unfortunately, Viewer doesn't specifically monitor its own Internet access. However, in the future we were planning to add some basic diagnostics/monitoring features so that regular users could easily tell where the problem is.
MaxBlitzer, User (Posts: 68)
Aug 21, 2018 5:18:38 am EDT

Conrad wrote:

However, I'm trying to remotely help someone over the phone, she says she disabled both and still same result, "double clicking or selecting Full Control doesn't connect to server or give any errors or popups".

The feedback is on the connection icon/icons in the address book. If connection isn't possible, the icons will be in offline state.

I haven't found I could trust or use the online/offline/unknown status as accurate.  I have always had older servers appear under Online but never be connectable anymore (less of or not much of an issue after 6.6).  Out of 4 online hosts, 3 have 'Last IP' and 'Version', the 4th didn't.  I connect to the 4th, it fails on first try but successful after 5 second retry. Not sure how it determines its online but not getting Last IP and Version, I'd expect that to be part of your handshake or keepalives or whatever you're using.

Just now, if I try and connect to a powered off offline host, I get a pop up with 5 second count down 'unable to connect'.  Is that new or fairly recent?  

When I first set this up, I made two entries in the address book and sent it to her.  One was the remote machine using direct connection through router port forward, and the 2nd the same settings but using the Internet-ID (in case the router changed or something). When I initially set it up, I could often see one appear online and the other unknown, both online, or both unknown. But they both worked if double clicking. Now both appear for me under Online.

I just checked one of her text messages from first tries when Norton firewall was still enabled.

I do see the 'Direct Server' and 'Fallback Server' as you describe. However, Fallback has a red check mark and says online, Direct has green check mark and says unknown.

So before trying to connect, or perhaps describing after unsuccessfully double clicking (the text is written after she tried, so I think this is the state AFTER her attempt), the direct connection shows unknown and the Internet-ID connection showed Online.  

I don't know what she means by "check mark" (hmm, maybe she thought and meant check BOX). It's a little computer screen, obviously :P  But for me, green computer screen is what I see for Logged on, orange for Online, and black for Offline/Unknown.  

Hopefully I'll find out what exactly she was talking about in the morning.  She uninstalled Norton completely and still didn't have any success, but made it sound like maybe something changed in her last update:

Tried to take full control of each, it says `logging on` `then the offline/unknown error comes up.

I'll try and clarify if she was always seeing "unable to connect" pop up like I do for an Offline host for real, or if she could see the address book connection change from Online to Offline/Unknown or what.  She is not a technical person and so some details could be (read: likely) mistaken.

But some additional diagnostics to help the user would be a welcome addition.  Thanks.
MaxBlitzer, User (Posts: 68)
Aug 21, 2018 1:58:01 pm EDT
Issue resolved.  Turned out it was the Viewer being 6.8.0.1 and the server host being 6.9.1.0.  I didn't realize 6.8.0.1 Viewer couldn't talk to 6.9.1.0 beta.  So just upgrading her Viewer to 6.9.1.0 made the connecting work.

You might want to make that clear on the Beta release notes page that 6.8.0.1 viewers can't talk to the 6.9.1.0 hosts.

I also saw the check marks she was seeing. Doesn't look like my screen and I didn't take any screenshots. But it's not intuitive as to what the check marks mean, since it was green for the offline connection and red for the online connection.  Also, it frequently only showed the Internet-ID connection as online and the Direct connection Offline/unknown until double clicked and connected.
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Aug 21, 2018 4:46:51 pm EDT
Hello Max,

Issue resolved. Turned out it was the Viewer being 6.8.0.1 and the server host being 6.9.1.0. I didn't realize 6.8.0.1 Viewer couldn't talk to 6.9.1.0 beta. So just upgrading her Viewer to 6.9.1.0 made the connecting work.

Yes, there is backward compatibility only when you connect from newer Viewer to older Hosts, but not vice versa. We also mention that on the upgrading page - it is recommended that you upgrade Viewer first, then Hosts. Also, good practice is to avoid version mismatch, i.e. update Hosts as soon as possible.

As for the beta version and if you use the self-hosted server, it should be upgraded too. With RU 6.9.0.1 beta we also released Server 2.7.

I also saw the check marks she was seeing. Doesn't look like my screen and I didn't take any screenshots. But it's not intuitive as to what the check marks mean, since it was green for the offline connection and red for the online connection. Also, it frequently only showed the Internet-ID connection as online and the Direct connection Offline/unknown until double clicked and connected.

Checkmarks are essentially the results of the ping command.  A remote computer may be "pingable" but the Host may not be running on it. This will result in a green checkmark and yet an RU connection won't be possible. An opposite example is that pinging a remote computer is not allowed (pings are unsuccessful) and yet it may still be available through RU. I wouldn't put much trust into these checkmarks then. It would be better to rely on the statuses instead.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)