New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Managing computer IDs in IOS version

Links used in this discussion
Dale Rabic, User (Posts: 1)
Feb 27, 2014 4:31:34 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
Firstly, thanks for a great program.  I've just uninstalled  [censored] because it was just too slow!

Having done my research, it seemed like Remote Utilities could do all  [censored] could, and then some! This included an IOS app.

HOWEVER:  [censored] (and LogMeIn) manages its "Address Book" via their central system, based on a userID (or email address). Having installed the IOS app, one simply enters their email address and password and there's their address book - all of the PCs associated with your ID, displayed with MEANINGFUL NAMES (or just Computer Names, which is ok also).

I read that you plan to implement a web-based account system ... Can I presume that this will also display the meaningful computer names, instead of the Internet ID numbers?

Let's face it - it seems like the current IOS app only allows you to store Internet IDs, which basically becomes a "lucky dip" if you have multiple PCs associated with your account.  With all respect, it's almost unworkable - who can remember the Internet ID associated with each associated PC (compared with "Laptop", "Wife's Laptop", "Media Server", "Music Server" etc. etc. or just simply, the actual computer name)?

The benefit of a web-based account system would also remove the need to Export/Import Address Books - whichever computer you run the Viewer on, all your computers are there immediately!

Finally (correct me if I'm wrong), when entering the Internet ID, it seems like it's CaSe sEnSiTiVe.  These IDs are hexadecimal characters (I think), so the A-F's should not be required to be entered in uppercase.

Again, thanks very much.  It seems like you've done all the hard work getting the functionality and speed.  It's just the UI (and management of Hosts) which is surprisingly lacking obvious functionality (with the greatest respect).

Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Feb 27, 2014 8:21:36 am EST
Hello Dale,

Thank you for the kind words about our product!

I read that you plan to implement a web-based account system ... Can I presume that this will also display the meaningful computer names, instead of the Internet ID numbers?

Yes, not just with the web based system (it requires some time and effort before we implement one) but in the nearest mobile updates.

Finally (correct me if I'm wrong), when entering the Internet ID, it seems like it's CaSe sEnSiTiVe. These IDs are hexadecimal characters (I think), so the A-F's should not be required to be entered in uppercase.

We'll think about whether it is possible (code- or architecture-wise) to make it non-case-sensitive.

Again, thanks very much. It seems like you've done all the hard work getting the functionality and speed. It's just the UI (and management of Hosts) which is surprisingly lacking obvious functionality (with the greatest respect).

You are welcome We are aware of the reported issues and suggestions we are given and we do our best to gradually implement them.
damon pillinger, User (Posts: 1)
May 12, 2014 9:59:49 pm EDT
100% agree with this post.

your software looks great and given there are 10 licenses for free I would expect 99% of logmein to move to you within a few weeks.

the real downfall of the iOS version is not being able to log into an account and having your machines listed.

It does work very well though and you have me hooked.

Thanks

Damon
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
May 13, 2014 4:08:46 am EDT

damon pillinger wrote:
100% agree with this post.

your software looks great and given there are 10 licenses for free I would expect 99% of logmein to move to you within a few weeks.

the real downfall of the iOS version is not being able to log into an account and having your machines listed.

It does work very well though and you have me hooked.

Thanks

Damon

Thanks for the kind words, Damon. We'll do our best to improve the product even more with each new release  
Anton Kalugin, User (Posts: 209)
Oct 27, 2014 9:51:49 am EDT
Dale and Damon,

We are glad to inform you that the new version for mobile devices is now available!
Here you can read more about it.
Here you can find download links.
john kumpf, User (Posts: 82)
Aug 27, 2015 2:47:23 pm EDT
I also request this, which is also requested here:  https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/forums/forum7/186

For me, it's fine to type in the name anew in the iOS app when first connecting, rather than have it know automatically from an online account.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)