New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Android client errors make it unusable

Angus Black, User (Posts: 2)
Jan 13, 2021 3:05:33 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
I just found and installed the RU and 4 hosts today on Windows 10 PC's in my home.
I have one Windows viewer and an Android viewer. The Windows viewer works fairly well.

The Android viewer does not work very well at all.
I can connect once with the Internet-ID but if I try again I get an error, External exception 38.
The connection info is not saved so I have to close the app and enter the ID every time I want to connect.

Another error I get is related to the non-existant address book, I guess.

I have attached both error screenshots.

The Android device is a Samsung S8+ phone with Android 9.
Attached Files
Android client errors make it unusable Android client errors make it unusable
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jan 13, 2021 4:01:41 pm EST
Hello Angus,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please clarify if you use the latest version of the Viewer app for Android (i.e. the currently available in the Google Play version 11.30)? If this is the case, then could you please try updating your Android device to the latest Android 11 version? The previous mobile Viewer version had some compatibility issues with devices running on Android 11, so updating to the latest Android version might help to resolve the issue.

As for the connection information (the Internet-ID code) - sorry for a somewhat primitive interface in the mobile Viewer. Currently, the connection entries are saved and available as a drop-down list by clicking the 3-dot icon in the connection entry field. However, we plan to release a significantly improved mobile Viewer version, in which we are going to implement a full-fledged address book that can be synced with the desktop Viewer and a number of different features that will make mobile Viewer more useful. Unfortunately, we cannot provide any specific ETA on its release yet. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please let us know if the issue persists even when the mobile Viewer is used on the latest Android 11 device.
Angus Black, User (Posts: 2)
Jan 13, 2021 4:52:26 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Thanks for getting back to me.

The app is the version on the Play store. It was installed today.

Android 9 is the newest version available for my phone. I'm not buying a new device to use this app. 🙂
I see posts fr om two years ago wh ere you say the app is going to be updated.
I think I'll stay with Chrome Desktop.
Edited:Angus Black - Jan 13, 2021 4:53:49 pm EST
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jan 14, 2021 8:25:23 am EST
Hello Angus,

Thank you for the clarification.

Android 9 is the newest version available for my phone. I'm not buying a new device to use this app. 🙂

Of course, we understand this. We always try to maintain as much backward compatibility as possible. I'll forward this issue to our development department, to see if we can reproduce it using a device running on Android 9.

I see posts fr om two years ago wh ere you say the app is going to be updated.

Yes, unfortunately, the improved mobile app is still in development, as the release of desktop Remote Utilities for Mac/Linux were prioritized. However, we'll make sure to notify our customers as soon as we release the improved mobile Viewer.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)