Community

Getting address book from server to mobile app

Links used in this discussion
Carlos Thomas, User (Posts: 19)
Oct 29, 2022 12:55:04 pm EDT
@Marshall Kass - Good day. As stated by staff members - the address book feature is not yet available for mobile apps. In my specific case, I only kept the few devices that I most needed a connection to on my mobile app. I don't have 200+ as you do - only 90 - but my recommendation would be to use a single device on the network as a gateway of sorts. Have RU on that system and use it as your connection point to the others.

Let's give an example - you'll call that system RUGATE. You'll keep RUGATE in your address book, and keep the ID in a note somewhere on the phone in case it gets wiped (like in my case). If you need to get to one of the other systems by mobile, simply connect to RUGATE and then use RU on it to connect to the others.

If you're in a server environment then it shouldn't take long or be hard to spin up a VM for that specifically.

I've been waiting on a mobile address book feature since 2018 and voiced that to the team since then. I've been waiting hence the development of workarounds.

You already have a RU server, so that fixes one issue. My solution at the time was to sync using other tools, and I've gotten so accustomed to that it's all I've been doing. Will probably implement the RU server to keep things simpler.

While there is no timeline in place for the feature, I am hopeful for this year or next year.

*EDIT*
Just set up RU server for myself. Quick and painless. Now even more I'd like the mobile to be able to use the feature. Hehe.
Edited:Carlos Thomas - Oct 29, 2022 1:29:14 pm EDT
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2833)
Oct 31, 2022 6:41:00 pm EDT
Hello everyone,

Thank you for your feedback.

We're sorry for keeping everyone waiting - address book and the ability to sync it with a desktop Viewer are features that we definitely plan to add to mobile Viewer. However, please note that it requires revamping Viewer in order to make it more user-friendly, which we're currently in the process of. We'll do our best to make this upgrade available as soon as we can. Thank you for your patience.

Let us know if you have other questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)