New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Change RUT server and update ALL hosts

Links used in this discussion
Rob Barrett, User (Posts: 92)
Sep 30, 2020 12:10:56 pm EDT
I want to move my RUT Server to AWS and then I want to create a modified silent .exe file or silent .msi install and bulk update ALL of my host computers for ALL of my clients. I want to have a primary RUT Server on AWS and then have a secondary failover RUT server somewhere else.

Is this possible?

What is the process step by step?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Sep 30, 2020 2:07:34 pm EDT
Hello Rob,

Thank you for your message.

Yes, this is possible in case if you configure a custom MSI installation package with updated settings that point at your new server's address and then will propagate it across your remote machines using Remote Install Tool as described in this guide - this way the remote Hosts settings will be updated.

As for the failover server - unfortunately, there's no failover mechanism to automatically switch between RU Servers yet. However, in this case, you can use the DNS trick. Please note that you should use a DNS name for your server that points at your main Server's IP address. If your main server at AWS is down, then you can simply update your DNS record and point it at the backup server's IP address (the server should be running of course). These days DNS propagation literally takes seconds or minutes at the worst, so your remote connections will be quickly up and running again.

Hope that helps.
MaxBlitzer, User (Posts: 68)
Oct 21, 2020 3:19:07 pm EDT
Rob,

Just do the DNS name and setup a dynamic DNS hostname. You'll need to sync the registry and some RUT files between the servers. You won't need to change your address book at all.

DON'T do the MSI thing. When trying to using the Remote Install Tool for upgrading beta versions, it rarely, if ever worked. So I wouldn't suggest that especially when there is no point.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)