Community

At least one authorization method must be enabled on remote host

Links used in this discussion
Scott Macklin, User (Posts: 3)
Nov 04, 2020 11:03:17 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
Just installed the 6.10 host on three computers in a remote office. Two windows 7, 1 windows server 2008. All three show as online in my viewer (also 6.10) but give "At least one authorization method must be enabled on remote host" when I try to connect.

* Simple Password is enabled on all three

* Zxyel firewall has 5655 and 443 open

Any advice?
Nov 04, 2020 2:40:22 pm EST
Just updated both host and viewer to 6.12.b2, still getting the same error.

Have tried turning on the Windows authentication, same error.

edit - Visited the office location today, unable to connect while on the same network using internet-ID either.
Edited:Scott Macklin - Nov 04, 2020 5:34:38 pm EST
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2853)
Nov 05, 2020 3:29:43 pm EST
Hello Scott,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please double-check what authentication method is selected in the Connection Properties -> Authentication tab? In case if it's set to Auto, please try switching to Single Password and vice versa.

Visited the office location today, unable to connect while on the same network using internet-ID either.

Could you please clarify if the issue persists (i.e. you receive the same error message) when you try connecting to the same Host fr om another Viewer located in another network? If this is the case, then could you please try uninstalling the Host completely as described here? Then please try reinstalling the Host from scratch using vanilla (i.e. default) installation file available on our website on the Download page and see if it's possible to connect to this Host.
Alternatively, you can also try downloading a vanilla no-install Agent module, run it on the same remote machine wh ere the issue occurs and see if you can connect to this Agent.

Please let us know if the solutions above did not help and the issue persists.
Nov 05, 2020 7:38:59 pm EST
Thank you. Uninstalling, deleting the registry key, and reinstalling fixed the problem.

So much easier than dealing with port forwarding for RDP!
Nov 06, 2020 1:13:28 pm EST
Hello Scott,

I'm glad to hear we were able to help!

Please feel free to post another message if you have more questions or need further assistance.
Mark Liquorman, User (Posts: 10)
Aug 10, 2021 10:56:06 am EDT
Support level: Starter
Polina,
Where do I find the Connection Properties->Authentication Tab?

When I select Host Settings->Security I get a screen that has a choice of Remote Utilities Security or WinNT Security.  Nothing about the Authentication Method.
Mark Liquorman, User (Posts: 10)
Aug 10, 2021 11:15:39 am EDT
Support level: Starter
Didn't find that setting, but did uninstall and install what may be a newer version, and it now works.  I've used RU for a bunch of years now, but that was the first time I'd every run across that error message!
Aug 10, 2021 11:17:16 am EDT
Hello Mark,

Thank you for your message.

In order to open the Connection Properties window please right-click on the respective Host entry in your Viewer's address book and select Properties as described here. In the Connection Properties window navigate to the Authentication tab.

Please let us know if you have more questions.
Aug 10, 2021 11:48:03 am EDT
Hello Mark,

I'm glad to hear you've figured out the issue!

Yes, updating to the latest version 7.0.2.0 might have helped since our updates always come with plenty of new features and fixes for known issues. Please make sure that you've updated both Host and Viewer to the latest version 7.0.2.0 which is available for download on this page.
In addition, reinstalling might have also helped to resolve the issue, especially if the complete uninstallation was performed as it includes steps that reset Host or Viewer settings to default, therefore, resets the conflicting setting that might have caused the issue.

Please let us know if you have other questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)