Community

Help With RU Host via Wine on Mint 20

Links used in this discussion
Thomas Hill, User (Posts: 3)
Nov 10, 2020 5:26:14 pm EST
I have successfully installed RU Host on a Linux Mint 20 laptop and connected to it with Viewer on my Windows 10 laptop.  However, I cannot take Full Control of the Mint machine.  If anyone has made this work, please let me know what additional steps you took.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2853)
Nov 11, 2020 9:17:44 am EST
Hello Thomas,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please elaborate a bit more on what do you mean by "cannot take Full Control of the Mint machine"? For example, if you have issues connecting to the remote machine or if you can connect but cannot control the remote machine, etc.
In addition, please make sure that you use the latest version of Wine available and try updating it, if necessary.

Looking forward to your reply.
Thomas Hill, User (Posts: 3)
Nov 11, 2020 9:35:53 am EST
Polina,

Thank you for your prompt reply.  I installed the latest version of Wine and checked for updates.  I installed the latest RU Host using Wine.  From my Windows PC, I can connect to the Linux Mint machine.  I can take control of the mouse, but it will not register clicks or the keyboard, so I can't actually do anything.

I also just noticed as I was confirming this I cannot see the login screen.  My view is black until the user is logged in.  This is not helpful, since users are not Administrators on our Mint computers.

On further testing, I've also found the Host does not start for Desktop level user.  Please pass to the developers working on the actual Mint version to include this functionality.  We cannot give the primary users of the Mint systems any access above Desktop User, but we need the Host to be available when they are logged in as such.
Edited:Thomas Hill - Nov 11, 2020 11:45:35 am EST
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2853)
Nov 11, 2020 11:52:35 am EST
Hello Thomas,

Thank you for the clarification.

Could you please try enabling the Use legacy capture mode feature in the Settings for Host -> Other tab and see if this helps to resolve the issue with the blank screen?

In addition, please clarify if by the latest version of Remote Utilities you mean the latest stable release, i.e. 6.10.10.0 version or our latest 6.12.2.0. Beta 2 version? In case if you mean the former, then please try using the 6.12.2.0 Beta 2 version instead - there was a known issue with some keys not being captured on the remote machine that was fixed in the latest 6.12.2.0 version, so, perhaps it might help with the Host running on Wine as well.
The 6.12.2.0 Beta 2 version is available for the download on this page. Please make sure to use both Viewer and Host of the same version as the version mismatch might lead to performance issues or some features not working.

In addition, please note that our assistance with Host running on Wine is very limited as it's meant for Windows and, according to our Support Policy, unfortunately, we cannot assist in resolving issues with third-party software as it's beyond the scope of our technical support. In case if the above solutions do not help to resolve the issue, please consider referring to Wine documentation or support service, perhaps they can provide a helpful solution.
However, we also have our Host for Mac/Linux systems which is currently in development. Unfortunately, we cannot provide a more specific ETA on its release yet.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)