New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

What setup will be best or what I need?

Links used in this discussion
Joseph Morris, User (Posts: 2)
Feb 07, 2021 2:42:37 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
I have just downloaded Host, Viewer, and RU.  I am a veterinarian in a medium sized practice, and one of my "duties" is being Dr. IT.  Right now, I can connect remotely to our server computer, and using Windows Remote Desktop, connect to our desktop workstations.  But I have up to 5 part-time use laptops that have Win 10 Home, and therefore can't use unattended Remote Desktop.  I use access mostly to keep them up to date and run health checks on the machines, and is best done once the office is closed, thus most ( but not all ) of the time, I am doing this from home.  I only need remote utilities to access the laptops periodically.  I usually have my personal laptop with me at work ( I use it for work tasks there ), so, if I install the viewer on it, I could technically use it for the rare times for the rare times I need to access the laptops while I am at the office.  I know that this level of usage "qualifies" me for the free use, but, very rarely, we also need to have access for an employee to access their company machine.  I know that they could get their own viewer installed on their personal machine at home to accomplish this if needed, but my question is can two "free" users have the same "host" in their address book?  And, what if they attempt access while I am working on the computer remotely?  If either of those is prohibited, does that change if I have a paid license and they have a "free" one?  Finally, our workstations, including the laptops, are all behind two routers.  So would there be an advantage in using RU Server?  Thanks for any input on this, either from users or the company.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Feb 08, 2021 4:41:22 pm EST
Hello Joseph,

Thank you for your message.

I know that they could get their own viewer installed on their personal machine at home to accomplish this if needed, but my question is can two "free" users have the same "host" in their address book?

Yes, the remote user can install the Viewer on their remote machine, register it with the same free license key and have the same Hosts added to the address book - you can even share the address book via a shared folder or use Portable Viewer. However, please note that with a Free License you can only add up to 10 connection entries to your address book. In addition, please note that only one free license key is allowed per individual, company, or organization. For more information on the Free License please also refer to our EULA.

And, what if they attempt access while I am working on the computer remotely? If either of those is prohibited, does that change if I have a paid license and they have a "free" one?

Please note that with the Free License, you can only have 1 tech working in a remote session at any given time, i.e. no concurrent techs are allowed for the Free License.
In case if you use a commercial license, then you can enable the Ask user permission feature with an additional option Ask only if user logged on. This way, if you're connected to a remote Host machine and a remote tech is trying to connect to this Host, you receive a pop-up window that allows you to accept or reject an incoming connection, but if this remote tech is trying to connect when the remote Host is free - then they will simply connect to a remote machine without requesting permission to connect.

In addition, please note that only one free license key can be added to the License Key Storage. No other keys regardless of their type can be used together with a free license key. If you want to add a commercial license key, you must first remove your free license key from the storage.

Finally, our workstations, including the laptops, are all behind two routers. So would there be an advantage in using RU Server?

Of course, you can consider using RU Server as your relay server instead of our public ones. Using RU Server brings immediate gains in speed and performance when Internet-ID connection type is used. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to configure self-hosted RU Server. In addition, you can also set up sync and authentication roles for your Server. For more information on the RU Server please refer to this page.

Hope that helps.
Joseph Morris, User (Posts: 2)
Feb 09, 2021 1:21:28 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Thank you for your response.  I am certainly going to give this a tryout.  I will install and  see if the response is adequate for my needs.  For now, I know that the "free" version is all I would need, but as our needs increase, we will be able to upgrade to one of the "paid" versions.  I really must commend your company for making so many flexible options.  For now, the other people who may need to connect to their company workstations, will have to work out their own solution ( approved for security by me ).  My questions about their usage was to limit the number of "easy" connections from outside our network.  I will report back in this thread as to how things are working, and you are free to use that as a testimonial.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Feb 09, 2021 4:22:42 pm EST
Hello Joseph,

I really must commend your company for making so many flexible options.

Thank you for your kind words!

If you don't have your Free License key yet, you can generate it using this Free License Key Generator.

Please feel free to post another message if you have other questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)