New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

7.0.0.0/7.0.0.1 Clients gone after computer restart

Karsten Kind, User (Posts: 5)
Mar 07, 2021 7:48:42 pm EST
At first I thought this is a bad joke but after trying this on two of my own local machines at work I can confirm that clients don't come back/don't show online in Viewer after a computer restart.

I already lost 10 clients (which made me drive to the customers because some use no other remote manage tools like  [censored] , to reinstall the clients) and time and money because of this bug.

The startup option of the client file is completely broken in this new versions (both versions). I didn't have this problem with 6.x thats why I will use 6.x until the 7.x version is really working.

The client installation files were created by msi package generator (with and without silent execution). In both cases the clients won't show or come back online in the Viewer after a restart.

I won't use the 7.x version for a long time now and stick to the old working version.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Mar 08, 2021 12:41:31 pm EST
Hello Karsten,

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with version 7.x.x.x. However, may we have a look at Host logs that didn't come online? Did you manage to ugrade the hosts to version 7.x.x.x? Or were you connecting to v 6.x.x.x. hosts?
Peter Gray, User (Posts: 48)
Mar 08, 2021 3:56:43 pm EST
Support level: Starter
Hello Karsten and Conrad

I had noticed earlier this afternoon that the host was not running on the machine that I mostly use as viewer (which I re-started two days ago), so having then seen Karsten's post, I started up a couple of other local machines which had been shut down.  In both cases the host did not start automatically, even though the service state in host properties was set to auto start.  They worked fine after I manually started them.  One is 32 bit XP, the other 64 bit W7.

Looking at the host logs, the host had been started immediately after upgrading to version 7.0.0.1.

Auto start was working OK on the recent 6.12.4.0 beta 4, though I recall that one of the recent betas fixed a problem with that.  Has that fix been carried over correctly into 7.0.0.1?

On the other hand, I've just turned on another local machine, and its host *did* start automatically.  Perhaps the problem is machine dependant, or doesn not happen every time.  Does starting the host depend on any other services being already running, which might be slow starting?
Mar 08, 2021 4:24:53 pm EST
On looking in the system section of the event viewer on the XP machine, I found two error events one after the other, with the following text:-

"Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Remote Utilities - Host service to connect."

"The Remote Utilities - Host service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

It looks as if the host tried to start, but didn't quite make it.
Mar 09, 2021 4:58:19 am EST
Hi Peter,

No there are no dependancies. May I ask what antivirus software is installed on the computers where Host didn't start?
Mar 09, 2021 1:25:56 pm EST
Hi Conrad.

Both machines where Host didn't autostart have Avast free antivirus, as do all my other personal machines.  I have sometimes (but by no means often) had a false positive fr om it on downloading or installing or first time running new versions of Host and Viewer, but it has always let me create an exception.  In any case, I don't think it's an antivirus issue, since I can stsrt the Host manually on both machines.

I do have a rather old version of Spybot Search and Destroy on those machines, which uses a lot of CPU during startup.  Maybe that is causing the Host service to take too long responding to its start request.  I could try disabling it and see what happens.  The third machine I tried does not have Spybot S & D, and the host autostarted OK.

Other machines that I support have Avast Business AV, but that also lets me create exceptions if I get a false positive.  However, some of those machines are also slow to start for various reasons, which makes me nervous about doing a remote machine restart.  I have sometimes had to go in person to start the Host after a machine restart, or use an alternative remote access tool wh ere one is already installed.
Mar 09, 2021 3:27:35 pm EST
Hello Peter,

Unfortunately, this time both Avast and AVG falsely detect RU. We have already sent reports to them couple of times and are waiting for their response.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)