Community

Ver 7 file transfer - replace older files only, skip identical files

Donn Edwards, User (Posts: 10)
Mar 19, 2021 7:16:17 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Is there a setting to replace only older files when copying files from one PC to another? In other words, skip the files that are identical. This will save me a LOT of time.

Thanks in advance. I'm using version 7.0.0.1 viewer and host.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Mar 19, 2021 5:32:01 pm EDT
Hello Donn,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please clarify if you mean the files with the same name but with the different date in the "Modified" column? If this is the case such files will still be treated as identical, i.e. when transferring, you will get a prompt allowing you to select if you want to replace or skip the files. Unfortunately, currently there's no mechanism to identify and separate such files, but I'll forward this to our developers for a review to see if we can add this in our future updates.

Let us know if you have other questions.
Donn Edwards, User (Posts: 10)
Mar 21, 2021 7:55:17 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial

Polina wrote:

you will get a prompt allowing you to sel ect if you want to replace or skip the files

I only want to replace the older files with a newer one. If I choose "replace all" it's not clear to me whether identical files are going to be uploaded all over again, or not. If I sel ect 1GB of data files to transfer (assume each data file is 5MB in size), but only 10MB is different fr om what I have transferred before, will "replace all" use up 1GB of data, or 10MB? Please advise.
Attached Files
Ver 7 file transfer - replace older files only, skip identical files
Edited:Donn Edwards - Mar 21, 2021 7:57:34 am EDT
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Mar 22, 2021 5:35:04 pm EDT
Hello Donn,

If I choose "replace all" it's not clear to me whether identical files are going to be uploaded all over again, or not.

The "Replace all" button means that out of all files that you want to transfer, all matching ones will be replaced - please note that it also applies if the name and extension of the files matches, i.e. Remote Utilities, unfortunately, does not have a feature to recognize the files with the different "Modified" date and mark them as different files yet.
If you select "Replace" instead of "Replace all", then it will only be applied for the current file - for example, on your screenshot, it's the file with the name "Local-223-Code.mdb". After this file is replaced, you will be prompted to the same dialog for the next matching file.
This means if you transfer 10 files to your remote machine that already contains the same 10 files, and 5 of them have a different date, but the same name/file extension - the old file at the remote computer will be simply replaced. The rest of the 5 files (that are completely identical to the ones at the remote machine) will be transferred once again and replaced as well. To summarize, you will still transfer all 10 files to the remote machine.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)