New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

viewer keeps resetting to trial

Links used in this discussion
Neal Austin, User (Posts: 2)
Jan 06, 2022 12:22:03 pm EST
viewer version, 7.1.1.0,  i turned pc off one night, then next day turned it back on, and when i opened viewer, my address book was gone, and viewer reset to trial version. i re entered my key, it took it, but once i closed viewer then re opened it, it reset to trial version. i tried ti uninstall, and reinstall. same issue.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jan 06, 2022 1:45:25 pm EST
Hello Neal,

Remote Utilities configuration and address book files are located here by default:

%AppData%\Roaming\Remote Utilities Files

Perhaps, some software (e.g. a "registry cleaner" or antivirus software) or security policy wipes the contents of this folder every time. You should make sure that you add this folder to the exceptions list in that software.

Hope that helps.
Neal Austin, User (Posts: 2)
Jan 06, 2022 1:52:15 pm EST
Hi, thanks for the reply, i shut down webroot, and i shut down malwarebytes. so now i dont have anything for security on my pc, i opened viewer, added key, then i shut down viewer, then wentback in, same thing, it reverts to trial version.

thanks
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jan 10, 2022 12:55:50 pm EST
Hello Neal,

Thank you for your message.

Please, try the following:
1. Fully exit the Viewer File -> Exit.
2. Locate the file config_4.xml in the C:\Users\[Your_username]\AppData\Roaming\Remote Utilities Files\ folder.
Please note that the AppData folder might be hidden by default in which case you need to enable "Hidden files and folders" in Windows Explorer settings.
3. Remove the config_4.xml file from that folder.
This will reset your Viewer settings. Your address books won't be affected by this action.
4. Run Viewer and try registering it with your license key again.

As for the missing address book - please try restoring it from an automatically created backup file as described here.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)